Using wow and flutter meter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all:

I just acquired a Wow and Flutter meter in mint condition. This cool device appears to be very well made and a proper professional peice of gear. I did not, however, get a manual with it.

Does anyone out there know how to use one of these things? I would like to use it to measure turntable performance, and maybe align and tune cassette tape decks.

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated

for a tape you would record a tone generated by the output onto the tape and then plug the playback into the input to measure.

for a record you would need a test disc with test tone (at the correct frequency?).

if you have variable speed then you could probably tune the test tone till the meter can read it, or maybe it does not matter and it just measures the frequency variations of any pure tone.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi JesseG,
You need a standard 3Khz speed /wow & flutter test tape. Teac has / had them at good prices. I think MTT-111 (could be wrong). Ask them.

To align cassette decks (or open reels for that matter), you need to buy standard reference playback tapes. You need level, dolby level (possibly), azimuth correction (might be more than one) and at least a multispot frequency tape. Note that some manufacturers may use more tapes (Nakamichi) and use different reference levels too.

Now before you try the first tape. You need a head height gauge, T/U tension and fast wing tension tape, and finally, a mirror tape. The tape path and drive system must be within spec. before you really start. You must also have demagnetized the tape path and ensured the deck playback amp isn't oscillating and the record oscillator isn't stuck on. (I have seen them all)

Finally, don't even dream of recording your own test tapes! The real ones are recorded full track with proper azimuth and speed assured. If you try to make your own you are only fooling yourself and doing a great disservice to anyone who's deck you work on.

Get factory training! Or at least training from a good tech who was factory trained.

-Chris

Hey - Thanks, Guys!

I had a hunch that this was going to be a bit more complex that it seemed at first :xeye:

If you try to make your own you are only fooling yourself and doing a great disservice to anyone who's deck you work on.

Good advice - however I will not be working on anyone else's gear - just my own.

Thanks for the one-page course: it sure sounds like you know these things well.

Well, I will go on the hunt for some reference tapes and a disk for turntables. I'm looking forward to playing with this thing :)

When you get a good machine bang on - wow!

Chris:

I know what you mean - I have been fixing computers for 28 years and it used to be a real rush to get some of them working. Now, everything is disposable :(

In the mid '80s I was living near a high-end audio shop and one weekend they had a visit from the Namkamichi factory tech, with all of his gear. Everyone was invited to bring in their decks and have 'em set up. He spent 45 min. on my BX-100 and when it was done, it sounded nearly as good as my Oracle turntable.

Jess

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jess,
I knew both those guys from Nakamichi. They trained me in Vancouver for a week. Super guys. I think my tapes and jigs were around 10K I had to buy. Still at my old shop :bawling: (I kept my CD stuff)

Yeah, those Nak decks dialed in were better than almost anthing else. I was warranty for Revox, Teac and Tascam (+more) and the Nakamichi machines were the best .

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.