25 pair cat 5 cable for speaker cable? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2006, 01:44 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I made a pair of these once, just for fun.

27 pairs of plenum-grade (FT6) CAT5E. The plenum-grade has Teflon insulation, which is prefefable.

You definitely want to use the solid colours for one side of the connection and the stripes for the other, as the whole point is to take advantage of the twisted pairs to achieve a very low inductance. But, as has already been pointed out, the trade-off for low inductance is high capacitance, which can cause oscillation problems. Especially with a 27-pair cable.

I don't think I would make another pair. They're a huge pain in the @$# to make, and the capacitance can be problematic. But they sure do look spiffy.

And I have to admit, I'm rather skeptical of the whole speaker cable sound thing... I think there are much better areas to tweak, that make differences that are orders of magnitude greater. Like room acoustics, for instance.
Old 27th February 2006, 02:10 PM   #12
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I would try and suggest you do, 4pair (0.8sqmm) for treble driver, 8pair (1.6sqmm) for mid driver and 12pair (2.4sqmm) for bass driver to get advantage of bi-wiring or tri-wiring.

As usual keep the cables as short as possible.

Check your amp is stable with capacitive cabling.

ps. 25pair is not 20sqmm but is 4.9sqmm.
Old 27th February 2006, 02:48 PM   #13
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Maybe I was mistaken. I thought he meant 25 cables of four pairs.

Four leads are indeed 0.8 qmm. I was calculating 0.8 x 25 = 20 qmm.
Old 27th February 2006, 02:51 PM   #14
bob_v5 is offline bob_v5  England
diyAudio Member

why would you want to braid the cable? i thought the whole point of cat5 is that it already comes like that?
Old 27th February 2006, 04:09 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Cat5 are twisted pairs.
I think that, to improve rejection between adjacent pairs, the pitch of each of the 4pairs is different.

The braiding came from previous experiments by our DIYers to find ways to combine more copper and improve performance.
Old 28th February 2006, 02:31 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
Hi,
I would try and suggest you do, 4pair (0.8sqmm) for treble driver, 8pair (1.6sqmm) for mid driver and 12pair (2.4sqmm) for bass driver to get advantage of bi-wiring or tri-wiring.

As usual keep the cables as short as possible.

Check your amp is stable with capacitive cabling.

Thanks

But what should I do with the 25th pair ??

Also, I have both shielded and non shielded 25 pr. Whadya think would be better?

Does anyone know how well Pass Alephs handle capacitance? Well, I know someone does...how about out of the people reading this?

Thanks
Old 28th February 2006, 07:47 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi,
my suggestion uses 24pair.

Choose to leave the 25th pair unconnected or try using it to augment the other used cables.

I would not bother with the screened, but if you feel like experimenting, I will let you go ahead on condition you come back and tell us of your successes and failures!!

It could save us all a lot of time.
Old 3rd March 2006, 09:00 AM   #18
klitgt is offline klitgt  Denmark
diyAudio Member

More on the subject here:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ffrc_e.html

The tnt-audio site has more pages about speaker cables than the on about the FFRC cable, look here
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diycables.html
Old 3rd March 2006, 01:39 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

It is unfortunate indeed, that such erroneous physics harpings are so easily available for all on the web.

Lest you assume the wrong thing, I have not stated that physics proves all cables sound the same. I have stated that the large part of the technical information you have linked to is in error.

Hugely so.

Cheers, John
Old 3rd March 2006, 04:46 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I'm not going to spend any money. I've got the cat 5 waisting away in a shed. I'm going to try the braided variety. If it makes a difference, it will be interesting. If it makes NO difference, then at least I will have satisfied my own curiosity.

The only test equipment that counts is MY ears.

Hide this!Advertise here!