A twisted tale about a logarithmic relay attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fierce_freak said:
Great news! Is said controller of the uber variety? ;D

Yes. :) But we dropped the "Uber" name in favor of "AC1" which stands for audio controller number 1. :)

The reason is we want to reserve the term uber for later possibly. :)

It will be used along with another module we have called "Femto".

Which is basically a micro controller on a little board with a USB port. The Femto can be reprogrammed by users with just about any PC.

This allows us to easily push out firmware. And it allows us to use the same basic controller for many applications. AC1 is basically an application mother board which the Femto module plugs into.

Cheers!
Russ

Here is what it looks like. :)

Attachments

• ac1.jpg
    ac1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,251
I'm still having some slight trouble with my Joshua Tree. At the lowest attenuation setting, I'm still hearing music passing through. And judging by the addition of the mute relay in MKII, does that mean the old Joshua Tree boards only attenuate but don't fully mute?

Is there a way to wire in full mute?

Mazuki said:
I'm still having some slight trouble with my Joshua Tree. At the lowest attenuation setting, I'm still hearing music passing through. And judging by the addition of the mute relay in MKII, does that mean the old Joshua Tree boards only attenuate but don't fully mute?

Is there a way to wire in full mute?

The older JT attenuates from 0 to -63.5db in .5dB steps, so, no full mute. Without adding another relay or switch somewhere, you can't do full mute with it.

I don't really know much about the P1.7, but I can give the following general guidance. :)

For a Single Ended preamp with no balance control you would need:

1) Femto with appropriate firmware
2) AC1
3) 2 x driver
4) 1 x JT2
5) 1 x Darwin

With balance control you need 1 more driver and one more JT2.

For balanced operation double the JT2 boards and Darwin Boards.

Of course we will offer combos for each of these setups when the time comes.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:
I don't really know much about the P1.7, but I can give the following general guidance. :)

For a Single Ended preamp with no balance control you would need:

1) Femto with appropriate firmware
2) AC1
3) 2 x driver
4) 1 x JT2
5) 1 x Darwin

With balance control you need 1 more driver and one more JT2.

For balanced opration double the JT2 boards and Darwin Boards.

Of course we will offer combos for each of these setups when the time comes.

Cheers!
Russ

Thanks Russ, that answers my question. I wasn't sure how many Femto and AC1 modules would be needed. I look forward to the release of the JT2 and it's peripherals.

Bill

Russ,
What voltage will we need? If I were to run full balanced (2)-DARWIN, (2)-Joshua, (2)12c relay boards, (1) AC1 Controller with display how much current will be needed. What devices are you supporting for switching and attenuation (rotary controllers or pot , push buttons or rotary switch, ). Will the AC1 drive the m0220md-202mdar1-1 New Haven display, and what color socks do you wear.

Bill

wirewiggler said:
Russ,
1)What voltage will we need?

2) If I were to run full balanced (2)-DARWIN, (2)-Joshua, (2)12c relay boards, (1) AC1 Controller with display how much current will be needed.

3) What devices are you supporting for switching and attenuation (rotary controllers or pot , push buttons or rotary switch, ).

4) Will the AC1 drive the m0220md-202mdar1-1 New Haven display,

5) and what color socks do you wear.

Bill

1) Most of the key boards have their own PS and regulator, so a 5-15V trafo secondary per major circuit will work. Some of them could share a secondary or a PS. This will make more sense when I get the manuals done. :)

2) Probably about 500-750ma. I am not exactly sure yet. I will post current needs after I test the boards.

3) Likely just Rotary Encoder at first. Later I may add pot control for some applications as well as momentary switch.

4) Yes. :)

5) Argyle.

Cheers!
Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.