Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2006, 04:10 AM   #1
gmikol is offline gmikol  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Plate Amp --> Need the Plate!!!

Hey all--

I'm toying around with the idea of making a 41Hz AMP2 kit into a DIY plate amp for a DIY sub. The reason I'm lookng is that I've got a dual 4-Ohm woofer, and finding a commercial plate amp that can drive 2 Ohm loads just isn't happening. And I've read plenty of posts that people think that a DIY plate amp doesn't make sense. But I'm gonna do it, as much as for a learning experience as anything else.

Anyone know of someplace I could get a good plate-amp style heatsink extrusion, or something like it?

Better yet, anybody out there got a busted plate amp (with fins) they want to give me super-cheap?

I drew up something and got a quote from eMachineShop, and that was just for a flat plate!!! It would be cheaper for be to buy a brand-new amp and gut it for its plate. And that don't make sense...

Any help is appreciated...

--Greg
Old 17th February 2006, 06:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Howdy Greg,

How big a sink you looking for?
?"x?"
Where in the USA are you? Shipping is always a big expense.

Regards
Old 17th February 2006, 07:37 PM   #3
gmikol is offline gmikol  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know for sure. The AMP2 (and all the Tripath amps, really) is fairly efficient, but I don't have the exact specs for dissipation in the output FET's at hand. But were talking about a 800-1000VA toroid and PSU, so I figure at least 8x10 in order to have room to mount everything. Maybe as large as 12x12? I don't have any drawings right now, as I'm just in the proof-of-concept stage (i.e. if I can't source the plate affordably, I won't spend much more time pursuing this.)

I'm in Portland, OR area...do you have something to offer?

--Greg
Old 17th February 2006, 07:43 PM   #4
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Surely you have something like the yellow pages where you live, I'm sure there will be at least one metal supply place in your area in there... The yellowpages is your friend, even more so than google, when it comes to things like this.
Old 17th February 2006, 08:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Approx. 8"x10" with 1.25" fins, measures .43 deg. C according to Rod Elliott's calculator. Weighs in at 4.5 lbs.

Hide this!Advertise here!