New to ICs question........ - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2006, 03:25 PM   #1
amperex is offline amperex  United States
diyAudio Member

Default New to ICs question........

Ever since I built an IC based preamp back in the 1970s that sounded horrid, I never played with ICs in audio. Simply used tubes for DIY all these years.

What is interesting compared to tubes is finding IC pin out data. Am I to assume all 8-pin dip OP Amp ICs have the same pinout? It is never mentioned here.

For example OPA604. Performing a Google search using words OPA604 with 'pin out', 'schematic'. 'specifications', 'data', 'wiring diagram', etc, I do not find a diagram showing what each pin is for.

I wish to upgrade TL071 to OPA604 without building an adapter. Yet, not sure if the OPA604 will be pin compatable (plug & play).
Old 11th February 2006, 03:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Do a Google search for

"OPA604" "Datasheet"

You can't be sure that all 8-pin opamps are pin for pincompatible, but the first page of the datasheet should give you a pinout diagram.
Old 11th February 2006, 03:48 PM   #3
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

In many cases 'opa604' (or any other device) 'pdf'
gives good results as well.

/Hugo
Old 14th February 2006, 01:13 AM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I am not aware of any dual op amps in an 8 leg DIP that vary from the "standard" pinout. The data sheet will surely have the pinout though.
Old 23rd February 2006, 04:14 AM   #5
fdeck is offline fdeck  United States
diyAudio Member

I have also never seen a single op amp that strayed from the standard pinout for pins 2,3,4,6,7. Pins 1,5,8 can have different purposes, including offset nulling, compensation, and shutdown.

That OPA part is made by Texas Instruments www.ti.com. In most cases it should be able to replace a TL071 without an adapter.

Why the 604? What's the application?

BTW this is my first post to DIY Audio. My background is that I am a physicist with a keen interest in electronics, audio, and music.
Old 23rd February 2006, 07:29 PM   #6
amperex is offline amperex  United States
diyAudio Member

I read the OPA 604 was a good upgrade by another person. I received a pair & it sucked. Not a good recommendation.

I am now going to try the TLE2071CP.
Old 23rd February 2006, 08:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amperex
I read the OPA 604 was a good upgrade by another person. I received a pair & it sucked. Not a good recommendation.

I am now going to try the TLE2071CP.
What is the problem you're having with them?, if you're expecting 'valve/tube' type sound from them you're going to be serious dissapointed, opamps are far cleaner than those - so you get to listen to the sound, and not the valves!.

Hide this!Advertise here!