"Naked" Vishay S102 resistors???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I was surfing the web and found this site that talks about a "Naked" s102 Vishay resistor. (It is about 1/2 price according to the page)

Is anyone familiar with these resistors? Are they made by Vishay and if so what is their series number?

God bless....

Mark

You can see the orange resistor down this web page is the one in question.

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio/foreplay/foreplay.html

The idea behind this series is to allow a user to have the Vishay foil and engineered alumina substrate without any epoxy or silicone near the resistive element, I suppose in fear of nonlinear stray capacitances. Mind you, epoxy isn't the best dielectric on the planet, but it's not all that horrible either. Still, tweakazoid users requested an unencapsulated version and it was delivered.

My reactions to this thread are mostly of disbelief. What the heck signals are you listening to that allow you to hear the difference between a pricey, ultra-precision Caddock and a similar Vishay resistor? Do you have any idea how much really crappy cable, commercial power cords, FR4 circuit boards, epoxy encapsulated silicon, electrolytic capacitors, etc. etc. etc. your signal has passed through on the way to your "last mile" of high and holy componentry? It's all fun and well to be an "astute reviewer", but at a certain point, don't you ask yourself "where's the fun in all of this? I keep messing with my gear and it's confusing and fruitless?"

IMHO, most tweaker audiophiles ought to get a pair of microphones and record real stuff for themselves, using all of their pet equipment, anointed on the full moon etc., and see how it works. It's far more satisfying to "lay hands upon" gear that takes reality and allows one to makes recordings of it than it is to sit at home, trying to have involvement with static recordings, but having one's involvement restricted to purchasing decisions of various gear or haphazard DIY projects to mess with gear in ways that you have little understanding of, guided by dubious reviewers who possibly have even less understanding of electronics than those around here.

Sorry to be a hater, but "burn in" on an ultra stable resistor? What does this mean? The damn thing is a few ppm stable over an entire year under full load. Just because some reviewer stated something about "burn in" doesn't make it true.

Peace, and sorry for the rant, but seriously, consider what I wrote. If you honestly can hear the difference between a Caddock and Vishay ultra-precision resistor (of the same values, obviously) , then I think you have some issues that need to be addressed, and that any flavor of electronics or gear won't solve them.

FWIW, Vishay offers post-manufacturing processing to remove much of the tiny amounts of drift that do occur in bulk foil resistors. Only a few PPM, but it does serve to make a very stable resistor >extremely< stable. I suppose it involves power cycling and operating at or slightly above maximum dissipation rating for short periods.

Whether or not this would have an audible result is debatable. I rather doubt it as the nonlinearity of bulk metal foil devices is extremely difficult to measure. I'd use them more often if they weren't so expensive; I usually have to settle for the lowest Tc resistors I can afford, which is 25ppm or so.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.