Immersion cooling of PC's Can it be used for Audio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
Check out the following article for a rather exteme cooling solution using immersion in an oil bath.
Strip out the fans

The followup article includes many recomendations and improvements.
Strip Out The Fans Followup

Could this be used in cooling audio equipment? One issue that may arise is that the max. voltage on a PC M.Board is 12V, whereas an Amplifier may have a considerably higher voltage.

Cheers, Adrian

GRollins said:
I did a thread once upon a time on water-cooled Alephs. It's a lot cleaner than oil. Cheaper, too.

Grey

However, you didn't immerse them completely in the water did you? I seem to recall that you just built channels into the heatsinks and ran water through them. The article quoted took the entire PC motherboard and immersed it in a vat of oil.

Basically it would come down to determining if the higher voltages would start conducting across the liquid used. Unfortunately, I have no idea if it would or wouldn't.

Schaef said:

Basically it would come down to determining if the higher voltages would start conducting across the liquid used. Unfortunately, I have no idea if it would or wouldn't.

Multi-thousand volt power transformers at sub-stations are often oil filled, as were some EHT transformers (LOPTX's) in very old UK TV's. Oil is an insulator, and a suitable type certainly won't give any problems at the voltages used in an audio amplifier - however, it seems a bit pointless?.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.