Darlington Bipolars as switches

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fundamental question here regarding BJTs used as switches (so they are in saturation mode, not active mode):

Why are darlington BJT transistors considered better than a single BJT when being used as a switch? I know that Darlingtons have a higher beta, but I thought that beta only applied in active mode, not when the transistor was being used as a switch...

Any thoughts?

-RT

Beta is the ratio of collector current to base current for AC signals. At DC the ratio is MUCH lower. A transistor with a Hfe spec of 100 will often have a DC Ic/Ib that is <10 (and you won't sually find it on the data sheet). That means when using a transistor as a low frequency switch, you must drive the base very hard.

A darlington transistor configuration multiplies the Ic/Ib of the two transistors so it takes much less base drive to saturate the output.

I_F

Darlingtons are consider better because they simply require less base current to achieve the same collector current. There is, as allways, a price to be paid. A single BJT will saturate at about 0.3 Volts or less (the voltage from collector to emitter), while a darlington will saturate at a higher voltage 1-1.5 Volts.

;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.