3 x BNC VGA = Component Video ??? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2006, 04:38 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

so basically i have to either find or build a gadget that converts the component signal in to rgb withou converting resolution and sync and then add the sync on the green again and that might work?
Old 31st January 2006, 08:08 AM   #12
diyAudio Moderator

Or you could try making up a RGB from the scart output to VGA.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 31st January 2006, 03:50 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

My guess is that the RGB output in the scart is much worse than the component video. But I could be wrong. I guess it's worth a try at least.
Old 31st January 2006, 04:06 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikael Abdellah
My guess is that the RGB output in the scart is much worse than the component video. But I could be wrong. I guess it's worth a try at least.
RGB is the highest quality signal available (which is why computer monitors use it), so it should be a better quality picture than component video.

There also seems a little confusion over the monitor?, it keeps being described as 'VGA'?, but then you said it was a professional video monitor? - these are usually completely different devices (with completely different signals), although some multi-sync VGA monitors will switch low enough for video signals (but they are very rare).
Old 31st January 2006, 06:25 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

What I meant was that I assumed that the signal present in the SCART ouptut would be of poorer qualty that the component output. I have never regarded the SCART connector as a high qyality signal connector but I might be wrong.

About the monitor. It is a Panasonic DT-2930MS. It is a multisync monitor with both VGA and analog video inputs. The picture I have got with regular composite video signals has been far from impressive. Maybe I should first try the RGB signal from the SCART connector.

http://www.mediensysteme.at/oe/daten...sonic/DT2930MS

http://www.ave-rassmann.de/produkte/DT-2930.htm
Old 31st January 2006, 07:07 PM   #16
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Those specs indicate that it has a component (not composite) video input. If you have these signals available use them.
From the rest of the thread, it's not clear to me what your source provides - RGB, component (luma + chroma) or composite. Some graphics cards have S-video out, which is much the same as component.
You *may* have RGB available at the SCART socket - it's specified, but not always implemented. (But what's the SCART on - are we talking about a graphics card or something else?).
Old 1st February 2006, 10:25 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

The source here is a Denon DVD-1920 DVD player with a analog devices ADV7322 video DAC. The player has component, composite and scart output. The scart connector is stated to have RGB output.
Old 1st February 2006, 11:02 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

dnsey, Component is a 3wire system with each wire carrying a mixture of RGB ( the aim was to match the average signal levels or something).

You may know that but your description makes it sound like a 2wire system.
Old 1st February 2006, 11:34 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

OK, thanks,that's clearer.

Composite video is 'one wire'
Component video is 'two wire'
RGB is 'three wire' plus syncs, which vary with the system.

The specs in the link seem to indicate that your monitor has component video in, which should work fine with your player.
Old 1st February 2006, 11:37 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I'm still puzzled though - where does VGA come ito this

Hide this!Advertise here!