3 x BNC VGA = Component Video ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are some old VGA systems that only used 3 BNC connetors for signal. Is this system compatible with the modern component video? I have a big CRT monitor with a VGA input (both MAC and "normal" VGA) and I would like to use my DVD players component output. Do you think it's possible? I KNOW that my monitor can be driven with sync-on-green but that still leaves me one connector short.

first of all... this isn't your everyday philips 17" crt monitor. It's a 29" Panasonic Professional broadcast monitor for video editing and such. I have just tried to hook it up via a regular 5 BNC cable of wich I simply connected the red green and blu coax to the same color coded component video connector. oh... my... god.... i have never seen such amazing picture. the blacks are pitch black, and the picture sharpness is not of this world. but there is one problem. i'm missing the red channel :(

This does however proove that the component video signal is the same as an ordinary VGA with sync on green. Any ideas as to how I should get the red channel too?

when i use the composite input or a regular vga signal from a computer the picture is ok so there is nothing wrong with the monitor. the question really is: how different is a component video signal from a vga signal and will the monitor work properly with RGB and just one sync signal. Right now I get the sync on top of the (normally) grenn signal but since component video has sync and luminance on the green connctor the monitor interprets the luminance as green color signal since i feed it on that input.

Mikael Abdellah said:
My guess is that the RGB output in the scart is much worse than the component video. But I could be wrong. I guess it's worth a try at least.

RGB is the highest quality signal available (which is why computer monitors use it), so it should be a better quality picture than component video.

There also seems a little confusion over the monitor?, it keeps being described as 'VGA'?, but then you said it was a professional video monitor? - these are usually completely different devices (with completely different signals), although some multi-sync VGA monitors will switch low enough for video signals (but they are very rare).

What I meant was that I assumed that the signal present in the SCART ouptut would be of poorer qualty that the component output. I have never regarded the SCART connector as a high qyality signal connector but I might be wrong.

About the monitor. It is a Panasonic DT-2930MS. It is a multisync monitor with both VGA and analog video inputs. The picture I have got with regular composite video signals has been far from impressive. Maybe I should first try the RGB signal from the SCART connector.

http://www.mediensysteme.at/oe/datenblatt/5/miete/Panasonic/DT2930MS

http://www.ave-rassmann.de/produkte/DT-2930.htm

Those specs indicate that it has a component (not composite) video input. If you have these signals available use them.
From the rest of the thread, it's not clear to me what your source provides - RGB, component (luma + chroma) or composite. Some graphics cards have S-video out, which is much the same as component.
You *may* have RGB available at the SCART socket - it's specified, but not always implemented. (But what's the SCART on - are we talking about a graphics card or something else?).

OK, thanks,that's clearer.

Composite video is 'one wire'
Component video is 'two wire'
RGB is 'three wire' plus syncs, which vary with the system.

The specs in the link seem to indicate that your monitor has component video in, which should work fine with your player.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.