Audio reserach(Good,Bad)whats your oopinion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,
Do you think that Audio research products are all the hype or better can be bought for less.I have had an sp9 pre-amplifier for over 2 years and am still curious as to its sonic character.Deffinately has a stiff upper midrange and "technical"sound.Heard the vt 100 and thought it was not worth the £asking price,upper midrange was superb,everything else almost plain an boring:xeye:
Had used Magneplanner 3,decca kelly horns,klipsch for referance with sonic frontiers,wadia cd systems.
Did arc really crack the hybrid sound.:xeye:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
ARC

Croft,

I shouldn't even reply to this one.
Biggest problem with imported goods is that they invariably arrived in European markets at + 50% plus of their local asking price.
I think we should honour our own culture especially since I feel we can defend ourselves and better it in the process.
Well,I think you know where I stand on this one anyway.

Cheers,;)

Hi Frank

Thanks for the e-mail;) Great imfo on the valves:cool:

Prices here in England are astronomical,arc gear sold for twicw as much as in the usa.
Same applys to second hand from ebay.
I think that hi end hi-fi is still a restricted diet here in Blighty.

Croft seems to be the bargain hunters dreem at basement prices,never saw what his goods sold for in other places though.

Amazing;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
ARC

Croft,

Allow me to tell you:you have a great source of excellent valve gear right under your nose.
Why bother?
Can you honnestly tell me one occasion where your local product was put to shame on a quality/price basis?
I can't.

Enjoy,life is short.:cool:

Hi Frank,

Great point;) I havent noticed anything that can compare to croft for price etc.
I think that there are a host of pre-amps out there which look better than they sound and maybe thats why they sell(impress the neighbours etc).

One thing that strikes me Frank is that croft must be the only manufacturer to use hard wiring.Most hi-fi folk are not aware that they can have a totaly hand built product for peanuts.I once spent £1400 on uk audiolab and it was the worst mistake of my audio life:mad: it stank:(
The pre was £650-----and know where near the glen desighns.
I am glad i saw the light:angel:
Its amazing that on ebay the common names seem to fetch small fortunes yet the unknown legends like croft hardly get an ear shot:xeye:

Good idea for advert though frank-----LIFE IS SHORT-JUMP THE QUE-BUY A CROFT TODAY-THROW THOSE MAGAZINES AWAY:bawling:

back again

I forgot to mention Frank that i have also had 2 other croft pre-amps which were the micro and ultimate.The ultimate was one that i borrowed for a month.

Freind has arc vt100---not impressed,so boring i almost fell asleep.he paid uk£3000 for it.Also has arc sp10,nice but not aproaching total midband freedom of usual valve deighns.

I use decca kelly ribbon horns plus decca 12"midd and bass driver all in Kardoid speakers.Best sound i ever had,deccas are so amazing.Had magnepan panels but preferd intamassy of kelly horns.

Also had stax lamda pro plus srdx energiser but woke the whole house up when i used them:rolleyes:

Now have beyer dt531;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.