I know this is illegal but is it dangerous or cunning.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wish all my posts did not seem melodramatic, but the non dangerous things I do by trial and error!

Ok I have a ground loop problem, some of my nice audio signal trickles through the ground!

After building my first mains filter one of the components gave me an idea. it has an 250v MOV. it has an extremely high resistance upto 250v then it conducts readily. Normally used across live/neutral as a surge protector.

I had an idea, if i get a 12v MOV and put it inline with my earth wire. anything that trickles down the earth below 12v is stopped (like a leaky audio signal) but when i do get a case short the 230v flies on through!

Is there anything I am overlooking?

while I am here can anyone explain what the hell a ground loop actually is, i have had some simple descriptions but nothing else!

thanks for reading

No No - :nownow:

Grounds amust be solid connections or they serve little purpose.

Grounds are provide for 2 basic reasons; 1) to keep exposed metal/conductors from injurious potentials. 2) to provide a low resistance path for return currents so that circuit breakers or fuses will open.

The resistance of an "active" MOV is NOT so low... nor can it carry the return currents without exploding.

Why do you believe you Have a ground loop? Describe the symptoms and attack the cause. These problems are best solved by more traditional means.

Hi,

I was just curious about that. no worries I won't try.

Thanks for the link pinky. I have followed your advice from last time. I have bought a pre with XLR connections. That fixes it for the front two channels (where the buzz was BAD) the others are not to much of a prob. the buzz is quiet, and when I have my 5.1 on it is generally VERY noisy so I can;t hear it.

shame, I thought I had thought of something cunning.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.