Quality capacitors without breaking the bank

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building Rod Elliot's constant Q expandable graphic equaliser. http://www.sound.westhost.com/project75.htm .

I have been reading and re-reading his article for a few weeks putting together everything i can find. I have come to choosing components, and have run into a snag. I would like to use foil polyprop caps, but since the circuit requires so many caps i will be broke. Also 1% metal film capacitors are not cheap.

I was looking at digikey BC components metalized POLYESTER film caps, and yageo 1% metal film resistors.

Are these good choices, or are is there a better bang for my buck? Thanks guys.

head_spaz

the BC components caps were metalized POLYESTER film caps, not polyprops. Thanks for the heads up on epcos polyprop caps, but i think for a few bucks extra i will go with the tighter toleracne of the BC componenets metallized POLYPROP filter caps, unless there is a reason i should not.

I will aslo check e-bay but i don't think i will find all the value.

Thanks fot the help, i'll post pics when i start building.

Hi PhilB,

Thinking that a graphic equilizer might be similar to a speaker crossover
you might want to use film and foils rather than metalized film.

RNMarsh discussed this around here in a few of his posts. I think it
has to do with resonances, distortion because the metal particles
are applied to the film in metal films while in film foil they are
separate layers and produce less distortion.

More expensive and larger, but probably worth it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.