Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

which is best multimeter in the world? Fluke or extech?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2005, 08:35 PM   #21
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi flg,
I don't carry my 34401A around either. The Fluke goes in my toolbox and is used when I need an auxiliary meter on the bench.

-Chris
Old 1st January 2006, 12:20 AM   #22
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poobah
soongsc,

You have a fluke that does not work??? Have you tried a new battery?
It's not the batteries. I sent it to the local rep and they just said it needed new guts which cost about have the price for a new one. The LCD sort of fades and you can't see anything. I'm not sure whether it measures well or not.
Old 1st January 2006, 12:26 AM   #23
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by anatech

soongsc, what happened to your Fluke? As I recall, switch contacts were a problem, so were display elastomers (but cheap). You may even have a broken lead in the battery connector.

-Chris
After sitting there without being used for a year or two, I turned it on one day and couldn't see a reading even with new batteries. The local rep said it's the display, but they only will do gut swapping and not just the display asking about half the price for a new one.
Old 1st January 2006, 12:30 AM   #24
diyAudio Moderator

Hi soongsc,
That might be an easy fix. Try this. Remove the circuit board and display unit. There are some things that look like grey or tan plastic connectors between the display and the board. Clean the contact points on the board, display and ends of the "plastic" with 99% alcohol. Use a cotton swab, not not push hard. Reassemble. You must remember which side of the display is up.

Some Fluke meters have a rotary switch that gets noisy. Clean the switch. All these parts are available as spares.

Finish putting it together with a fresh battery and test. If the display still fades, measure the voltage at the battery connections to the PCB to make sure the clip is okay.

-Chris
Old 1st January 2006, 12:31 AM   #25
diyAudio Moderator

Hi soongsc,
The displays are not that expensive normally. I used to repair them often. What model is it?

-Chris
Old 1st January 2006, 01:46 AM   #26
Zero Cool is offline Zero Cool  United States
diyAudio Member

I spent a lot of time researching meters. I dont have a lot of money and i needed something that had standard VOM functions and was RMS accurate over the whole audio frequency spectrum for AC voltage measurments, and would measure capacitors to at least 20,000uf. and the Fluke 189 fit the bill. I managed to find a used one on ebay for a good price and it has been my bench side companion for some time now. I love it so much i wont take it in the field with me. By only complaint is that it runs on batteries only. I really wish it had an AC adapter available.

No other tool i could find would do everything i needed it to do like the Fluke. I could have purchased several other pieces to do the same functions, but the fluke does everything very well! There just want any reason to buy anything else.

Zc
Old 1st January 2006, 02:25 AM   #27
Algar_emi is offline Algar_emi  Canada
diyAudio Member

I worked in a calibration and repair lab for 7 years and used multimeter for all my professionnal life. Fluke are the kings of multimeter. Maybe more expensive but worth every penny. What you read is always the exact value. Their calibration last forever. They are tought, reliable and accurate. You cannot go wrong with them. Also their service is just perfect. they have all the replacement parts and they are easy to repair. Fluke is the way to go. The Fluke 189 is one of the best DMM available. I have the older 89 model since almost 10 years now. Still working like a charm. A real accurate true rms multimeter, 4 -1/2 digits great meter, the fondation of a good personnal workshop. Even if you don't have a lot of money, try to find a used 77 model. I will last a lifetime. Have fun.
Old 1st January 2006, 03:47 AM   #28
chipco3434 is offline chipco3434  United States
diyAudio Member

Repair kit for fading display on Fluke ~ $20...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Fluke-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 1st January 2006, 04:14 AM   #29
gmphadte is offline gmphadte  India
diyAudio Member

In this part of the world, with all those cheap rubber on solder contact for the LCD, I have not seen a fluke work reliably. Even the pcb absorbs moisture and shows erratic redings.
I prefer my Beckman DM73 (pen type) to the fluke.
Humidity here is mostly above 80%.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 1st January 2006, 05:45 AM   #30
AudioFreak is offline AudioFreak  Australia
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

This one is the repair kit for a Fluke 77 as per what soongsc has.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Fluke-...QQcmdZViewItem

which is best multimeter in the world? Fluke or extech?Hide this!Advertise here!