Transfomer Trouble, don't dare plugging it in

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I juste took an xformer (not toroid) out of an older amplifier, and I have used it in test setups. But there was a switch there for setting the mode between 110-220 Volts input voltage.
Now, I have taken it away and cut the wires abit, but I measured in advance that I didn't change anything.

So, now I'm a little frightened plugging it in again, so I guess my question is; What's the worst that could happen?? if it's now set for 110V anyway.

any experients with these kinds of multiple winding transformers will probably help, I'd be glad to post a pic.
/Chris

There are a bunch of threads here about identifying transformer leads- do a search.

When I am going to work on a piece of equipment I use my digital camera to take many photos from multiple angles before I start taking things apart. That way when it is time to reassemble I have a clear, colorful reference as to what was what back when I started. This is especially useful if you get interrupted in the middle of what you're doing and can't get back to it for days, weeks, or even months.

It also helps to make sketches showing where different sized screws go...

MR

I've now Fired It Up! It still works. Didn't use fuses, couldn't find any at the time and my fingers were twitching, so....

But I kept a good distance and watched the output voltage.
I guess my initial fears where that it would blow up. But I'm still here, and it works nicely.

Next up will be the mechanical isolation, it makes quite some noise when I put it on a table. So i glued several layers of rubber feet under it, and know it's almost completely silent.

thanks for the help alll of you!
and by the way - Fred Dieckmann - I'm also a Swede :)

/Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.