making battery charger?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How would I go about charging Koyo My 12v BAttery with my 18VDC @ 5.5VA hobby transformer? Is it possible without alot of work I havent really done this kind of stuff before. I also have some different power supplys Ive gathered over the eyars such as 12VDC @ 500ma, 5.0DC solid line over dotted line 2.0A?, 11.2VDC @20ma, and a bunch more laying around, if its any help. Thnx

Hi,
you need to achieve 4 targets with your charger.

1. set a current limit to avoid overheating and gassing, your sealed battery requires a different charging strategy from old technology lead acid.

2. set a voltage limit to avoid overcharging and gassing. I think sealed require about 13.8volts.

3. establish the VA required to meet the above for quick charge (not less than 10hours) any quicker risks damaging the battery.

4. find info on temperature compensation for the voltage limit related to battery temperature.

A nice option would be automatic change over to trickle charge when full charge and/or highest temperature is achieved.

Another nice option is reverse polarity protection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.