Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2002, 03:59 AM   #21
diyAudio Senior Member

Croft,

Quote:
One day a guy bought one of glens amps back to him for upgrade,this was flung into a bin over the otherside of the room and glen said that his desighns did not need any alteration??
Quite a character indeed.
But let me tell you:I know a thing or two about valves but Glenn just knows everything you can imagine.

Anyway I need to go,see you.
Old 25th October 2002, 04:01 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Wow,thats great Frank.I will deffinately e-mail you if you dont mind with regard to the mega micro,it does look like we have the same unit(amazing).
What i was thinking was to try and get a better top box for the unit as the colour and shape is a bit like London on a rainy day(drab)
I will never forget the first time i hooked this unit up,the sound was REAL in every sense of the word,many jaws dropped that day,my unit does get hot but at this time of year its a great way to keep warm.The case i want to get is an audio reserach one,which are very good but the manufacturers dont like selling these items,everythin else but not the case
I have many ideas for the mods,does the tape input and tuner use the valve cuicuitry Frank?
Phono is sublime on my oracle delphi/souther linear tracking arm,wack the volume up and it just gets bettersolid state can only dream off
Like mike at the hi fi shop said to me "if it dont glow-it dont go"

Old 25th October 2002, 04:03 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default Cheers frank

Thanks for all the imfo frank,
Will try and talk to you again,
Mega
Old 27th October 2002, 03:25 PM   #24
diyAudio Senior Member

Default QQ

Croft,

Quote:
I have many ideas for the mods,does the tape input and tuner use the valve cuicuitry Frank?
Well mine is phono only but I'm pretty sure Glenn routes the inputs to a selector switch, than to the volume control,than to the grid of the 12BH7A White cathode follower.

Cheers,
Old 27th October 2002, 04:11 PM   #25
diyAudio Retiree

Default Electrolytics as coupling caps?

Never heard any Black Gates I take it........

I can hardly wait till I know everything and can fling amps about in fits of rage. I'm so dumb that I am still trying to learn things after 20 years of building audio circuits. But then, I am just a demigod.

pri·ma donna Pronunciation Key (prm, prm)
n.
1.The leading woman soloist in an opera company.
2.A temperamental, conceited person.

I guess the updates aren't over till the fat lady REALLY sings on my equipment!

Encore...... Encore,
Fred
Old 27th October 2002, 09:00 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks Frank.

Thanks for the greta imfo frank,i will have a look inside the mega micro that i have, Maybe a cd player could be put into the phono socket input with a tweaked interconnect.

Just had some great review books from the states,(stereophile)and in one theire is a review of the audio reserach sp9,the guy absolutely hated the unit and coulndnt live with the sound,interesting reply from the arc factory aswell.The conrad jhonson was freferd.Will probably get rid of my sp9 and look for---CONVERT AUDIO TECH SL-1,ARC SP11,NAGRA PLP.

Still want to get the croft unit modded,hard wiring is so far in front of pcb in terms of air around the instruments,pcb,s,suck.

Thanks Frank.
Old 27th October 2002, 09:12 PM   #27
diyAudio Senior Member

Default CROFT

Croft,

Err,please don't hook up any cd to your phono stage.
Phono uses the RIAA equalisation curve to work and you will overload that stage to boot.
In short it will sound badly distorted.

If you need gain on top of the output of the cd-player a dedicated preamp is in order.
I wouldn't spend a penny on these fancy names you mention.
I'ld rather talk to Glenn (or Amar),see if he can solve your problem.

Quote:
Still want to get the croft unit modded,hard wiring is so far in front of pcb in terms of air around the instruments,pcb,s,suck.
I can only agree. But I would only change some components on the megamicro for higher grade ones.
Thing is Glenn is right,it is pointless to alter his designs.

Cheers,
Old 27th October 2002, 09:14 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
And don't mod it too much if you want to get rid of it, waste of time and possible difficulties when potential buyer opens the cover.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 27th October 2002, 09:23 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you Frank

Cheers frank for the imfo,i will deffinately keep the player out of the phono.I usualyy use the tape inputs for cd,hope this is ok?

Have been thinking of which parts to upgrade on the mega micro, The caps look like there from RS components,the volume pots are big and clumsy and i was told that they were from a quad pre-amp.Have saw some very nice alps pots at £400+,also danish stepped ct-1.Also am not to shure if the caps in the power supply box would benefit from an upgrade.

Have noticed Crofts new pre-amp,electrostatic membrane desighn.Thsi looks awsome and in nice case aswell

Would love to know what Glen thinks of the other manufacturers products(arc,mark levinson,counterpoint).

Long live the valve.
Old 27th October 2002, 09:24 PM   #30
diyAudio Senior Member

Default modding

Peter,

Quite right Peter.
Always a good idea to make mods reversible,just in case you want to sell the thing later on.

See you.

Hide this!Advertise here!