FRED Diode Upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a problem with my Monolithic Power Supply diode upgrade.

I received the FRED Diodes from Percyaudio and realized that they do not immediately fit into the holes that the current diodes are soldered to. The leads on the FREDS are spaced about 2mm closer together than the current diodes. :whazzat:

http://www.geocities.com/ghaunadaur99/audio/p3b.html

1. Can I bend the leads on the diodes to make them fit?

2. or should I drill a new hole and apply solder?

3. or is there another solution (other than buying new ones) to fix this.

???

Diode question

Audioferrret

You should be able to bend the leads (carefully). Be aware it is likely a one way trip as the leads will fatgue and break if you manipulate them too much. Are you sure that you have the pins correct? I recall having to load a pdf from the manufacturer's website to verify pin position for these. Alternatively use a continuity or diode tester.

Good luck,
Rob.

Hello audioferret;
What are the values of the diodes that you are replacing?
Depending on the voltage and amperage I might be able to recommend a better sounding schottke diode. yes better than the FRED's
I would definately replace that 10000uf 16v cap
With a jensen 10000uf 25v four pole

If you have question as to what these are try going here.
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24

I have used these type caps on many projects and they are worth every penny....
Regards.
Craig

Thanks!

Robert,

Thanks for the info, I tried it on my CD player first as that was the less expensive component. It worked beautifully. The diagram is included on the percyaudio web site, so identification of the anode and cathodes was easy. I used the 8A, 600V rated TO-220 Fairchild Stealth Diodes.

Rentiap,
I like your suggestion. As soon as I am able to get to it, I wil post the mod to my web site. The Jensen will actually fit! A 10,000uF, 50V Nichicon Super Thru will not...or so I learned when it arrived in the mail. :bawling:

Thanks!
-Will

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.