How do I replace an optical jack ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently purchased a Sony DVP-CX985V multidisk changer on Ebay. The unit is in great shape and works perfectly. I thought all was well until I decided to hook it up via the optical output. Turns out the optical jack was broken. Looks like someone yanked the plug out. The port seems to still work but it won't hold the plug in place (it just flops out). I hooked it up via the coax but I really want to fix this thing.

Has anyone replaced one of these jacks ? I've done a lot of electrical work since I was a kid and have some experience. But this is new to me and I need some help replacing it.

I need to figure out where to get the jack, which one (I have seen jacks for sale with different volatage and transmission rates), and just plain old want to know how difficult this will be.

Can some one help me with this? Does anyone know any of the specs ?

Hopefully, but it's been my experience that companies like Sony won't help. They usually want you to send in the item for replacement. They charge an arm and a leg for repairs and don't want you to do it yourself. I've sent them email and will call to see if I can get the part from them. But as I said, I doubt they'll be much help. I'm hoping that someone can offer some help...

I've had good luck locating even some of the most obscure schematics online (found the ones for my 1957 Marshal amp head !). I've looked for a website that would the ones for this DVD player, but so far no luck.

Can anyone help ? Anyone ever replace a broken optical jack ? These things seem pretty flimsy and I can't believe that no one has had to deal with this before...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi justanotherchkn,
That's why I suggested you deal with a warranty shop as opposed to Sony directly. Until I made a contact in a warranty depot, Sony was a pain to deal with. Find a human at arms length and deal with him. Or find a scrapper. Most models should use the same part.

-Chris

Anatech -

Just called Sony. I was surprised that they sold me the part. I just hope it's the right one. The tech I spoke to on the phone didn't instill a great sense of confidence. Cost $15 which was about twice what I've seen the same part cost elsewhere. Makes me wonder if it's the right one (I asked more than once and he double checked it). But we'll see.

peranders -

Yes, those are the jacks I need. Those are actually Toshiba parts. That's the "TO" in the begining of the item number. The "RX" or "TX" refers to "receiver" or "transceiver". The two items that you referenced are only two possibilities. Check this out :

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/Catalog/Line.do?lineid=7071&familyid=19

This is complete list of possible parts with their voltages and data rates and description (duplex/receiver/transceiver). You can see that it's a bit complicated. I don't want to pick the wrong one. I know I need a transmitter/transceiver... possibly duplex... just not sure which one... Hopefully Sony will send the right part...

BUT, I could still use a bit of advice on how to install it. Not the soldering part... just need any practical tips from anyone that's done this before... Like is this unit particularly susceptable to heat damage...

I've never worked with any electro-optical parts before and would appreciate any heads up advice that I could get before diving into this....

Thanks !

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi justanotherchkn,
You basically have an LED in a real fancy housing. LED's don't like too much heat.

Use a controlled temp soldering station if you can, around 300 C° with a regular or large tip. Low temperature and small tip = overheated part. I may add a touch of new solder to the joint and then use a solder sucker to remove the solder. I'm talking the big ribbed blue ones with recoil. Check the pins with small pliers to ensure they are free. If a lead is still stuck and the solder is gone, use the iron to push the lead away from the edge of the hole. Just heat the lead until it releases. Move it gently with pliers and it should be free.

At this point, the assenbly should release, sometimes the tabs lock, just release the tab if this is the case.

Clean up with flux and solder wick, followed by lacquer thinner on a Q-tip (cotton swab, not a plastic stick!). Now you have a new-like mounting location for the new part. Resolder with the same tip and temperature.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.