On board Connectors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2005, 05:35 AM   #1
bigphil is offline bigphil  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default On board Connectors

I am trying to repair a pioneer reciever, but I'm having problems getting it back together because the pins on the board connectors for the ribbon cables were one-time use only. I'd like to get some proper connectors put in, but the funny thing is the configuration is staggered, and it seems today's standard is for the pins to be lined up in equal and even rows. I can't find these staggered configurations anywhere. If anyone has any ideas I'd really love your help. Here is a pic, so you can understand what I'm talking about.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is an example of the style of connector I'd like to replace them with. Ones that don't break everytime you need to disconnect something

Old 16th December 2005, 06:24 AM   #2
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

depending on the spacing, it could be regular 15-pin Dsub. What is the scale?

/edit:
Oh yes, you could put a pigtail cable in there as a last resort. Terminate with whatever connector you like.
Old 16th December 2005, 08:34 PM   #3
jc2 is offline jc2
diyAudio Member

Are these connectors for the flat flex cable? If so depending on the spacing of the pins/conductors on the cable this link might work.

http://www.molex.com/product/ffc/5597.html
Old 16th December 2005, 10:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Are you sure those are one-time connectors? I just repaired my CD player and had to disconnect 3 ribbons by pulling them out of the slots in the connectors. Before I pulled any out completely I worked at one a little, then pushed it back to make sure I would be able to get the back in. All the ribbons went back in just fine.

The ribbons in my CD player were a stiff sort of affair, with the ends that plug into the connectors stripped only in the areas where the connector would make contact.

I_F
Old 16th December 2005, 11:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Some ribbon cables come with a molded stiffer end which plugs into a connector. These connectors often have a locking provision - look for a lip near the top of the connector and pull upwards gently - this might sometimes pop up about a millimeter. Then you can plug in the ribbon and push down on the connector to lock it in again.
Old 17th December 2005, 03:19 AM   #6
bigphil is offline bigphil  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the responses guys.

jc2, your connectors almost work... but the spacing between the two rows on my connectors is 5mm, not 2mm... other than that the staggered setup was correct.

I wish I could get them back in. Around 10% of the connectors on the board had re-connectable normal connectors, the rest are definately one time use, ruined once u pull the wire out. I'm going to pigtail some connectors on like Stocker suggested.

Here is a picture of the connector. The one on the right has the top locking plate still on, the one on the left shows the way the pins lock-in the wire. Once you try to pull out the wire, the force tears the locking pins out of place, and there is no mechanism on the connector to un-lock the pins. By far the worst design I have ever encountered.

Hide this!Advertise here!