denon dcd-1700

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone know where I can get a replacement laser for this CD player - I believe that it is a sony laser. My local Denon service shop says that these old denon/sony lasers are no longer available - this would be a shame cuz its was a great maching before it began to skip!
Thanks

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi aaj,
I'm pretty sure there were problems with the disc motor bearings with that machine too. These would more than likely cause the skipping. The bearings are a separate part. Bearings normally wear before the head is done.

For the true story, contact Peter Habenei at Denon Canada. (800) 263-1692. He's in the service department. Believe what he tells you. He was one of the people who trained me.

Free call. Facts, not fiction. Don't waste your money.

-Chris

I remember replacing many sets of disc platter bearings in that set as the tech for a store that sold Denon and not once needing to replace the laser assy. Of course that was many years ago but I think anatech's advice is on the mark. If it was mine I would be tempted to try to clean the bearings, mostly to see if that effected a temporary repair to confirm that the laser was OK, I did not try to repair customers units in this fashion because of the distinct possibility of this only being a temporary fix, they were told upfront that the bearings would need to be replaced for us to repair the unit and guarantee it.

Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.