Fototransistor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Im looking for a fototransistor for ambient light. I've found one type RPM-075PTT86 at digi-key, but it's a bit beyond my soldering skills. There are plenty of fototransistors that are tuned to the ir range so I'm wondering if those will work. If not, will adding a ir absorbant filter do the trick?

Llafriel

Silicon photo transistors have peak sensitivity to the near infra red and can hardly see blue light. The (black) package is designed to block visible light so adding an infrar red blocking filter will end up with nothing.

If you just want to experiment, carefully cut the top off a TO-18 transistor eg bc108.

Thanks for the replies guys. The elfa kind is a good example of what I'm thinking about. It responds to visible light but peaks in the ir range. Will I be able to measure ambient light with this, ranging from darkness to daylight?
I'll probably use a photocell though, but what are their response above 100 lux? Daylight in a room is more than 100 lux isn't it?

A plain photo transistor will work in daylight. The only light source which have not much IR is "lysrör" tube??? lamps.

If you want a sensitive transistor it must be a with the base connected. You must also connect the transistor in class A in order to increase the light gain.

I work commercially with designing photocell equipment so I know some. :nod: If you want to do some experimenting I have my drawers full of photo transistors. I will check what I have.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.