Ladder attenuator: Where to solder resistors - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2002, 04:28 PM   #11
diyAudio Senior Member

Default Volume control.

Hello Bernhard,or anyone else for that matter,

Do you mind to elaborate further on the subject you touched upon?
Before people take the plunge and go for the TCVC (transformer controled volume control,a new acronym?) it would be nice to know how to best implement it.
I consider this a very worthwile issue.

P.S. Bernhard,before you know it you're bound to end up whith a Pultech pre,aren't you?
Ouch,now the word is out...

Cheers,

Frank.
Old 6th November 2002, 03:12 AM   #12
DSK is offline DSK
diyAudio Member

Default Ladders & law faked cermets

Hi Frank,

Quote:
Another way to sonic bliss is to use the good old cermet linear pot with a law faking network.
I'm a DIY newbie, currently considering an upgraded attenuator for an active pre-amp (ss input stage, tube output stage). The manufacturer advises it needs to be a 20k version and recommends against a shunt type. There is insufficient space and $$$ for a TVC.

Firstly, just how close does a law faked cermet linear pot come to a ladder attenuator like the Goldpoint Mini-L ?

Secondly, are there any pre-assembled ladder attenuators available other than the Goldpoint (I can't find any) ? Do TKD make a ladder or only the series type ?

Many thanks,
Darren.
Old 6th November 2002, 07:47 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Frank,

This is the URL for the App note by Thorsten Loesch on the TX102's, and much of it would apply to TVCs in general.

http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forum...pic.php?t=6576

Darren,

<b>Secondly, are there any pre-assembled ladder attenuators available other than the Goldpoint (I can't find any) ? Do TKD make a ladder or only the series type ? </b>

www.dact.com

Cheers
Old 6th November 2002, 09:46 AM   #14
DSK is offline DSK
diyAudio Member

Brett,
Thanks for the DACT link, but from what I understand the CT1 & CT2 are "series" type attenuators, not "ladder" types. Even though the DACTs receive favourable comment, I assume that a good series type attenuator will not sound as good as a good ladder attenuator (except perhaps at full volume when there aren't extra resistors in series).

However, if anyone out there has directly compared the two (same impedance rating and used in the same piece of equipment) and had diffferent results, I'm happy to hear about them (and save money).

Cheers,
Darren.
Old 6th November 2002, 10:54 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSK
Brett,
Thanks for the DACT link, but from what I understand the CT1 & CT2 are "series" type attenuators, not "ladder" types.
You're right about the DACT being a series. Sorry. I can't think of anyone who does a ladder attenuator pre-made. You might be soldering lots of resistors yourself to get one I'm afraid. Let us know if you do find someone who makes them, as I'm sure there are others who'd be interested.

I also agree that a ladder is probably better than a series all else being equal, but build it with quality resistors and switch, or else that improvement may well be mitigated over a series with higher Q R's (only half the number in a series) and the extra switch contact in the path.

Something to consider when you've had it in system for a while, is to change out the resistors in the most commonly used positions with some you really like the flavour of, esp if the initial budget precludes their use everywhere.

The MFR series Philips (actually Beyschlag) MF resistors in the Farnell catalogue are quite nice and only a few cents each.
Old 6th November 2002, 01:31 PM   #16
diyAudio Senior Member

Default LADDERS TO CLIMB

Hi,

Quote:
Firstly, just how close does a law faked cermet linear pot come to a ladder attenuator like the Goldpoint Mini-L
As I said,it betters a standard volume pot.Even a decent one and is a lot cheaper.

I think it was a British engineer,Ben Duncan that first mentioned it in the hi-fi press.
I searched a bit already but no luck so far.
A series if good quality cermets were the Sfernice P11 series.
Just can't seem to trace the formula for calculating the resistor network though.
If I happen to find it I'll post it here.

Quote:
Secondly, are there any pre-assembled ladder attenuators available other than the Goldpoint (I can't find any) ? Do TKD make a ladder or only the series type ?
There are quite a few more,and yes,TKD do make 'em too.

But why pay hard earned cash for something that can be assembled in a couple of hours using the components of your own choice?

Just to show how good Google has been to me:

http://www.google.be/search?q=LADDER...-8&hl=nl&meta=

If you want the ultimate VC I would stringly recommend the TVC which is a transformer with various windings controlled by a rotary switch.

Brett mentioned this already previously.

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!