WIMA FKP3 PP-Film/Foil Capacitor -> where to buy ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
WIMA FKP3 PP-Film/Foil Capacitor -> where to buy ?

Hi,
where can I buy the WIMA FKP3 Series in small amounts within europe ?

(If you ask WIMA directly, they answer, that you have to buy 5000pc. per Value...) :xeye:

If you ask some distributors they don't have it in stock...

I thin k it would be quite a good audio capacitor.
With low tanD low inductance an so on...
I would like to make some tests with different values / compare them with others and so on...

can anybody help ?

In South Africa, our Wima distributors are Avnett Kopp and I get pretty efficient service from them. They have even been willing to let me have a few Wima samples. They seem to have branches or allied companies all over the world.
I have tried the MKP10 series and found them pretty fair sounding. I am also curious about these caps now, so perhaps I will try some next time I need such small values.

Dirk (or Homer4711) already knows from the German audio forum what the difference is between FKP2 and FKP3.

Burklin does not have the FKP3 in their standard range.
It may be possible for Burklin to order them, they have ordered non-stock items for me in the past.(for brands they distribute)
However, that requires a company account.
Afaik, Burklin only sells components to private persons over the counter in their shops.

I have an Avnett Kopp catalogue listing the different Wima caps and their specifications. It is not as straightforwartd as all that. When they speak of metallized or film and foil, they are often referring to a full polypropylene foil capacitor but the pins (electrodes) could be metallized, eg their MKP10 range. Full polypropylene film capacitor with double sided metallized plastic film electrodes. You need to check the specs carefully rather than generalizing that "F" means this and "M" means that.

Thank you all... :)

I have already asked Buerklin and 12 other Distributors in germany... ;)

I got company accounts* at the Distributors this is not the problem
*(if someone needs some parts, some day... :D just ask me...)

The Problem is, that this type is not very common or widespread in use within the industry.

---------------------------------------------------

So I think I have to find another type to make my experiments:

- film/foil type
- PP-foil
- 63V or 100V types
- footprint 10..15mm @ 0.1uF
- 1% ... 5% Tolerance-Class
- low tan delta within the lower 10-4 Range
- very slightly increasing of the tan delta versus frequency
(e.g. 4x10-4 @1kHz ---> 10...20x10-4@100kHz)
( that means @100kHz maximum 5 times the tan delta @1kHz )

any suggenstions ?

what about the good old MKP10 ? (http://www.wima.de/mkp10.htm)
it's not film foil type but it seems to meet all other kind of my "specs" above ? (I never noticed that... :bigeyes: )
even the low tan delta -> maybe due to his double-side-metallized-foils ?
Does this construction principle has any other disadvantages for audio purposes ?
(thinking of couple capacitors and filtering capacitors ?)

hihopes said:
I have an Avnett Kopp catalogue listing the different Wima caps and their specifications. It is not as straightforwartd as all that. When they speak of metallized or film and foil, they are often referring to a full polypropylene foil capacitor but the pins (electrodes) could be metallized, eg their MKP10 range. Full polypropylene film capacitor with double sided metallized plastic film electrodes. You need to check the specs carefully rather than generalizing that "F" means this and "M" means that.

Yes, you are right.
here is the full WIMA terminology (with list of WIMA-types):

Film/Foil Construction

Metallized Construction

Metallized Construction for Pulse Applications

Film/Foil Construction with Metallized Electrode Carrier Film

Until there is NO full metal foil used as electrodes
the types begins with an "M" (instead of an "F")
thats what WIMA says and what I said and what you said above ... :angel:

Buerklin sometimes delivers FKP3, if you order other FKP types.

For me, MKP10 sound´s bad in audio...yemv! Please search the forum for other opinions.

For coupling C´s the wima´s are a good choice. If you use them in riaa networks...well, in chip riaa´s they are sounding rather dark. Please search the forum for this effect, others have reported this effect as well. I don´t want to have a flame war to this subject.

Carsten

Hi,
I thought that foil caps used foil to carry the signal.

I see from the links you gave that ALL of Wima's range, FKP4 and FKP1 included, use metallised to carry the signal at least somewhere.

Their claim for using this method is self healing and, with some of the range, high pulse applications.

For audio neither of these are important.

If real foil is available and you think you need foil then Wima is not suitable.

BTW. it appears from the Wima diagrams that many of their constructions are effectively using series capacitors to achieve the voltage ratings. The signal comes in at one side (metallised or foil then crosses through the film to the metallised layer ( first cap) travels along the metallised layer, then crosses the film to the next foil or metallised electrode(second cap).

Could this complex floating electrode arrangement and series connection cause the audio problem?

A simple foil/plastic film cap using parallel connections might be your answer.

Coupling and filtering are two different requirements.

Coupling will accept a roll off at ultrasonic frequencies ( you decide how high you want to go).
Filtering theoretically should extend all the way to infinity (again decide your limit but it will be many times higher than your coupling limit). I think this requires different caps to achieve these different ends.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.