Best solder to use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
old fashioned 40/60 rosin cored cleans and sticks very well.
I have found some silver loaded also stick well if precleaned but I get the impression that the flux is not quite as good.
Lead free seems to introduce even more of the cleaning and sticking problems and for small scale amateur work is probably not a significant environmental issue.
If your soldering technique is below best then I recommend you stay 40/60

I have 5 different rolls of solder on my bench. :)

A roll of good old Kester 44 60/40 is always on my desk. It's great for cables, and other bigger things.

I have a rool of kester with a water soluble flux. It's terrible, stay away.

Then I have several sizes of smaller diameter solders, all 63/37.. I do prefer 63/37 over 60/40. When it cools, thee's no pasty state inbetween liquid and solid with it, it just goes straight to solid. This is called a eutectic solder. .034 for through hole work, .020 and .015 or fine pitch surface mount work.

If you're doing surface mount soldering, I also suggest some liquid flux. It's an essential, and comes in convienient pen applicators. You can also buy it as lqiuid and put it into a squeeze bottle with a needle.

I'm not a fan of lead free solder. It takes alot more heat to melt, and really is a pain to work with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.