1st order low-pass filter, which cap ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm about to modifiy my active crossover's output stage. As I need "cleaning" the signal at the very end of the output stage I shall install an RC 1st order low-pass filter to achieve a gentle slope down from above 40Khz.

Any suggestions for best capacitor type to use for C ? Silvered mica ? MKP ? MKS ? other ? or really doesn't matter ?

Sorry if question is unclear, stupid or incomplete, but I didn't find any answer in existing threads :)

Thanks

Hi,
you need a cap that has lo inductance to ensure that the filter slope keeps falling almost all the way to infinity.
Your best chance to achieve this is a ceramic.
I would suggest that theoretically the cap to ground is not in the audio path so slight variations in capacitance as the output changes will have no sound effect.
If you want to play safe then use propylene film or styrene foil and add a small ceramic in parallel.
Third choice would be stacked film, ester or carbonate (now almost obsolete). Stacked should avoid the need for //ceramic.
There should be no need to go expensive here.

Do you need to alter any other slopes to compensate for the extra slope you propose to add?

Hi !

Thanks for the input, very instructive :up:

Actually I just need to get rid of unwanted noises above 45 Khz.

This takes places into a circuitry modification project right after a DA converter chip.
Then no, I don't need to alter the rest of the audio band, but I definitely need something as transparent as possible.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.