Advice on Greenlee Punches Requested

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I am considering buying some Greenlee punches. The enclosures I work on are typically anodized aluminum ranging in thickness from 1/16" (about 1.5 mm) to 1/4" (about 6 mm). I can drill the smaller holes (1/4", 3/8" and 1/2") but was thinking about Greenlee punches for the tube holes. The thing is, I know nothing about punches.

First, what sizes will I likely need? 9-pin holes appear to be about 7/8" in diameter. What about the larger tube sizes?

Second, what tools do I need to make the Greenlee punches work? Do I drill a pilot hole and then use the punches to expand them? How are the Greenlee punch sets "cranked" together? Is there something I should look for when buying Greenlee products off of ebay?

All reasonable advice gratefully received.

Regards,
Scott

I can't help you with the correct hole sizes :)

But, I can help you with the working of the punches. You drill a pilot hole for the bolt on the punch, assemble the punch through the hold, and crank it down with a wrench.

I prefer to use a unibit for casework though, they're just more convienient I find.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.