resistor comparison test - tantalum? - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2008, 01:54 AM   #221
stijena is offline stijena  Croatia
diyAudio Member

To pietjers:

z-foil resistors are non-directional.

They have foil applied to both sides of ceramic substrate, and therefore any directionality is cancelled by bonding left side of the upper resistor foil to the right side of the lower resistor foil. Main reason for this design change is decreasing "PTC" coefficient. (Power temp. coefficient, similar to TC but "PTC" is resistance change due to self-heating, while TC is due to environment temperature).

Additional benefit is lower inductance because current flows through thicker conductor (well only a fraction of a nH).
Old 29th September 2008, 11:40 AM   #222
tomat is offline tomat  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

what about other vishay metal foil resistor?,such vta52,vta54,etc,anyone ever try them?

thanks
Old 29th September 2008, 01:05 PM   #223
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Nelson Pass uses Dale RN55 series. He uses them, thats good enough for me.
Uriah
Old 30th September 2008, 12:02 AM   #224
diyAudio Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by udailey
Nelson Pass uses Dale RN55 series. He uses them, thats good enough for me.
Uriah
Hi,

There's probably nothing particularly wrong with them, so why not?

Picking resistors is akin to picking coupling caps.
Assuming you're a good chef you'd know what flavour to pick to season your meal.....

Ciao,
Old 18th October 2008, 05:50 PM   #225
ashaw is offline ashaw  Australia
diyAudio Member

Has anyone used the VAR?

How does it compare with the TX2352
Old 21st October 2008, 07:26 PM   #226
aphile is offline aphile  United States
diyAudio Member

We tried TX2352 but had some problems with delamination. Probably our fault but need rather special handling. Evaluating some relatively low-cost audio-grade non-magnetic resistors made by another USA firm. I don't have their name (RDC, RCL?) but if parts OK, I'll let you know.
Old 17th April 2011, 01:35 AM   #227
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
Check the previous page on tantalum res. Apparently the ones sold by Parts Connexion are magnetic and don't sound that well. As I said before, in my DAC's I/V stage old Holcos sounded better than MK132 Cadocks. Don't know about Vishay.
Peter,

Are these the shinkoh's? I bought some for the output zobel network of a phase linear. They sucked the life from the music. I just can't deal with it. I have to switch back to the original carbons, even though they are not matched and off value, they are INFINITELY better.

It turned mu stereo playing music, into music that sounds like a stereo.
Old 18th April 2011, 02:27 PM   #228
aphile is offline aphile  United States
diyAudio Member

The resistors that I mentioned we were testing in Oct 2008 were made by RCD Components (USA), a specialty passive components mfr. Their parts worked great and we've standardized on them. Unfortunately they don't seem to stock much and therefore tend to be pricey in small qtys.
Old 18th June 2013, 07:32 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

Did anyone tried new Audi Note non magnetic Tantalum resistor?
Just curious how it sounds compare to old AN resistor and even with shinkoh.
The price AN new resistor is too expensive for me so I won't dare to try if I haven't know how the sound signature.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 20th July 2013, 03:13 PM   #230
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Feedback resistors

There is a wealth of information in this thread. Thanks for all who did the testing. It helped me make choices that resulted in very well resolved amps without trying to comparison test 25 different resistor points.

I ended up using AB in the feedback position on and OTL tube amp. Amp is quite musical. I had been wondering if I should try some of the bulk foil options here such as the Caddock TF020. On rereading this thread, it appears like it may not be worth the trouble and expense. I would need 6 in total which adds up. Any thoughts from people who have gone down this road?

Hide this!Advertise here!