Fixable or Not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have my camaro wrapped in Infinity 652i's and I was driving around, music up loud, and all of the sudden They all started sounding like crap and I smelled a smoking smell, so I stopped the car right quick and disconnected the amp, thinking thats what it was. Amp is a Pioneer 760watt amp...rated at like 320 RMS. Amp gain was about half way...Anyway...Pretty sure the speakers blew but I am thinking they are fixable, not sure tho. They have a little capacitor on them with these values. 50v 4.7uF Bipolar. If I replace these capacitors, will my speakers sound good again? Right now, I have all 3 that dont work, and one sounds like crap when its at a low volume, but crank it and it sounds good. Anyhow...Please help. Not sure if replacing the capacitors will maje them good again

A couple of quick checks. Smell - yes smell! - the centre of the speakers which sound bad. There's no mistaking the intoxicating aroma of burnt glue. The other check it to manually move the woofer in and out. If it scrapes, it's toast. High power levels can burn the glue which holds the voice coil to the former. You may have caught it before the windings failed but not soon enough to save the woofer.

DC also has the same effect, if you have a meter it's worthwile confirming there's none across the speakers before replacing them. Multiple simultaneous failures sounds odd. Sorry, can't help with the repair side though it would surprise me if it's an option. If the woofers are round and large enough you may be able to find a shop willing to replace cone and surround with different versions which fit, but they won't be the same drivers afterwards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.