Need AC voltage reference

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
johngalt47 said:
I need to find or build an ac voltage reference. It only needs to read +/- 3 or 4 volts max peak-to-peak. I need to be able to measure from 10 Hz to 20kHz. I have a couple of DC voltage reference chips from Maxim that seem to work well for DC but I don't see any for AC.

Sorry I dont remember good...
Try at google "function generator ICs"
I think that Maxim do some of this chips...
Old manufacturers are Exar and Intersil.

Best regards,
-boggy

I think you misunderstand what he is asking for (or is it me getting it wrong?). I think he asks for a signal source that has a very precisely defined amplitude. I hardly think they are any chips or similar simple solutions to buy though. Maybe one could build an oscillator where that amplitude is somehow compared (peak value? rectified LP-filtered value?) to a DC level from a voltage reference, and feedback used to adjust the amplitude?

Christer said:
I think you misunderstand what he is asking for (or is it me getting it wrong?). I think he asks for a signal source that has a very precisely defined amplitude. I hardly think they are any chips or similar simple solutions to buy though. Maybe one could build an oscillator where that amplitude is somehow compared (peak value? rectified LP-filtered value?) to a DC level from a voltage reference, and feedback used to adjust the amplitude?

Wow!

If this IS true, then forget about "AC reference voltages" in that range of stability (couple of ppm). Oscillators don't have this range of precision and stability. Feedback regulated is only (if I remember) Wien bridge topology, but you can obtain better results with Maxim function generator than with Wien bridge (Maxim/Exar/Intersil chips don't have feedback, and generate sine wave with precise nonlinear network)

In this case, best available solution for this is to build signal/waveform generator with precise and stable D/A converter and lookup table in EPROM, but this solution is much more expensive than precise DC references. You must have precise and gain-stable amplifier for this etc.

----
I remember something! Long ago Micro Linear do some 8pin chips, working with lookup tables and digital clock. I don't know what is happen with Micro Linear and their small chips. I remember also that this chips are very rare and only obtainable from Micro Linear (single manufacturer). This is something like digital controlled sine wave generator.
----

Best regards,

-boggy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi johngalt47,
You should send your meter to a calibration lab. Ask for calibration / optimization with data. Indicate the frequency range you want if outside the normal spec for your meter.

The equipment the lab uses will hopefully be a Fluke 5500A or 5520A calibrator. (look up how much these are worth). I do not care for the Wavetek calibrators, they are better for clamp meters.

Make sure you go to a big lab with a proper calibration area. Generally your meter may take a week, might be less. This service is well worth it. So is the calibration data. You are lucky you have a Fluke. Some other brands can not be brought into calibration and have terrible high frequency performance.

This is the only worth while way to do what you have asked.

-Chris

Hi,
can the heating equivalence be useful here?

Is there a way to accurately compare (near instantaneously) the heating effect of an unknown AC signal and measure the DC voltage of another calibration circuit that has the same heating effect?

Could some chopper across a bridge using AC and DC alternately give sensible numbers?

This would depend on a close approximation to sinewave signal, but whether distortion at -20db or -40db or -60db is needed?

AndrewT said:
Hi,
can the heating equivalence be useful here?

Is there a way to accurately compare (near instantaneously) the heating effect of an unknown AC signal and measure the DC voltage of another calibration circuit that has the same heating effect?

Best true-rms meters even today still use heating-based measurement. No bandwith or crest factor problems, but I think that getting good accuracy can be tricky.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.