2SD555 + 2SB600 data help!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have data sheets on the 2SD555 and 2SB600 transistors, or did they even make them? I've searched high (and low) for info and came up with a blurb about the 555, but Icmax and Ft are not consistent. I think the posts get their info from other posts and errors perpetuate. Anyone got the real scoop?? Thanks!

I did some googling on 2sd555 and there seems to be a consistent picture that this device is discontinued. It seems to have been manufactured by NEC and also others, however, NEC seems no longer to have any datasheets for it. I did find datasheets on one site, but it seems to be a pay site:
http://www.ecadata.de/suchneu/such.php?ECA_KEY=2SD555

I didn't check the other device, since I assumed it was complementary and it is probably the same story there. Google will tell you.

Thanks for info guys. It's pretty much in line with what I've been able to find out so far, but a data sheet with curves would be great..(I'm so spoiled!!). I suppose a lot of Japanese made trannies never came with a data sheet so I shouldn't be surprised. Actually, what I was after was a gain curve,..just wondered how many amperes they were good for before the proverbial dive set in. If I have to, I'll just acquire some and put them up to the old tracer and find out for myself. Am trying to avoid this approach anymore since this is a great way to acquire stuff you never use, but in the 555 and 600 instance, I'm sure I could find a place for them somewhere.

I've come back into audio after 15 years of being out and going back through my old stash see I have some collectables, such as original Toshiba 2SD424 + 2SB554s. Think I'll keep those around for a rainy day.

Tiltedhalo - If you have the 200w versions, I'd be interested, for a few $ of course. My email is open.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi RetroAudio,
The V C-E voltage rating is 200V, not 250V. V C-B on the 2SD555 is 250V. There is only one version of these. Somewhere there must have been curves on these, I've never seen them. Just the bare minimum given by the Japanese spec books. Still, that's light years ahead of trusting ECG or NTE specs!

They were popular because the current gain characteristic is reasonably flat, particularly for power transistors of that time.

Your 2SB554 and 2SD424's are also really good output transistors. I used to stock these and the 2SB600 / 2SD555's. I ran out years ago. For new replacement, try the Motorola (On-Semi) MJ21193 ~ MJ21196 parts. They seem to have made a deal with Toshiba for the technology and have reasonable prices.

anatech,

I've never seen anything NTE that I like and wonder how they even stay in business, yet they seem to keep going.

Yeah, I've pretty much come up to speed with all the popular output devices available today, I still like to keep looking and tweaking..(it's too fun,..am having a blast!). Darn all these ideas that keep popping into my head,..won't give me a minute's rest for nothing.

Right now I'm redoing an early version Threshold 400a and boy howdy,..the stuff I'm uncovering that needs fixing. Am just having some fun in the output section is all and am pretty sure I can hotrod it to truly drive some electrostatics. I guess I'll know when I get there, but the journey is most of the fun for me.

Well, back to the lab... :smash:

Hi Jacco,

This is good info and coincides with the differing ft's I've seen posted. Are you saying by any chance that the NECs are not that great and basically need to be avoided? Does a cheap TO-3 mean just not well made? I remember years ago where I used to work that some dept. was having trouble with some Motorola casings coming apart,..or something to that effect.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,
Whow, hold on now. I can't remember whether NEC or Toshiba made the 2SD555 and 2SB600, but in the Japanese system, only one manufacturer makes a certian number. There are no exceptions to this, ever.

If I could only read the Japanese in my data book!

-Chris

Chris, don't need to, i should think before typing.

Original 2SB600/2SD555 are NEC, the current ones are too, or they are sold as NEC devices.
You guys were constantly posting Toshiba, i mixed up.
2SB554 is Toshiba, then there is JVC 2SB555 and Sanyo 2SD600, very confusing.
marking is red though, and ML did use them, i just checked the article to be sure.

The ones that webshops like this one sell for $1.80 are the 4 MHz versions, with a thin metal casing.
=> http://www.elektronica-online.com
The NEC's from the mentioned 15 years ago had thick aluminium casings and did 14 MHz.
I believe Mark Levinson switched to Motorola's when distribution of the NEC's became difficult, the ML23.5 had the Motorola's.
That should be somewhere between 1985 and 1990.

Latest batch year i found was 1993.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
anatech said:
There are no exceptions to this, ever.
According to all available sources I have: CDrom and ECA book the manufacturer was Nippon Electric Co., Ltd. (NEC).

Here's all available data I have.

/Hugo :)

Attachments

• 2sd555.gif
    2sd555.gif
    61.9 KB · Views: 483
LOL,....I get confused with these silly numbers all the time, am constantly rechecking them.

It looks like these have a beta code as well, thought they might. Thanks for the input Netlist! Now I know to have a heads up when buying sight unseen. Seems this transistor has some history to it and it might be easier to just stick with the Motorolas, which makes me all that much more curious about the NECs!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi RetroAudio,
If you have them, use them. For new stock I would buy the Motorola parts from a known distributor.

Hugo,
That's a great data book! Way more information than I have. I wish I could read German!

Jacco,
I get mixed up on the brands all the time. So I look at an original to figure it out. I still wish the Japanese book was written in English. There is so much more information in the book. I can figure out the numbers and headings but the text is beyond me.

-Chris

Joined 2003
Paid Member
anatech said:

Hugo,
That's a great data book! Way more information than I have. I wish I could read German!

Chris,
One can't have everything, knowledge and data. That's where we complement. ;)
In fact, when you look carefully, the small text is written in English as well. All other data is quite universal EE-jargon. Too bad me and my scanner did a rather sloppy job.

As far as my German goes, Grenzdaten would be 'Absolute max. ratings' and Kenndaten would be 'Typical ratings'. Any German speaking member correct me if needed.

-=Hugo=-

anatech said:

You don't actually need to learn many words to understand a databook or a datasheet. Don't fall into the trap of believing you have to learn a language in order to be able to extract useful information from technical or scientific texts. I had a friend who took a course on russion for mathematicians. I asked him if he found russian a difficult language. His answer was, well, you don't really need to understand much russian in order to read a mathematical text.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.