OPA 627 Just In!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just installed two pairs of OPA 627 chips on Brown Dogs into my Onix XCD-88. Only other mod at this time is a .47uF 600V Auricap across the mains.

First impression is Awesome!

I am using a vintage set of Toshiba Separates (Stereo Receiver, 45wpc Amp) and a pair of PSB B-15s. Reference disk is Opus3's SACD (5.1 and 2 Channel) Demo for Timbre and Imaging.

1. Imaging: The difference noted is that I finally feel like the instruments have left the speakers. Speaker transparancy has increased dramatically. Soundstage has stepped up as well, resulting in the instuments finally stepping out from in-between the speakers and out towards the periphery.

2. Timbre: Instruments sound much less like a speaker and more like instruments. Piano is especially distinct. Separation of each instrument is also clearer adn more defined. If I want to isolate one instument from the band and focus my attnetion on it, it is much easier to do.

Overall, I am very happy with this step. Excellent OP Amp!

"Squeak"
- The AudioFerret

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.