Replacing Caps on X-CD88 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2005, 07:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Replacing Caps on X-CD88

A couple of questions:

I have an Onix X-CD 88 that I am modifying and I am trying to determine what replacement values to use for the electrolytics at the OPAMP.

I just ordered a set of OPA 627s on BrownDogs, so those will be the Op Amps to reference.

First off, which capacitors are the coupling capacitors? The ones right before or right after the Op Amp? Do they have to be Electrolytic or will film caps do a better job.

1. I would like to replace the following caps.

a. There are four 270mF/16V electrolytics after the op amp and chip in the signal path (2 per channel) right before the RCA jacks. I can't find lytics with a 270mF rating, so what should I use?

b. There are two 10mF/16V and one 22mF/25V lytics before the Opamps. Will it matter if I use bipolar lytics for these? I was thinking of the Nichion Muse Bipolar series.

c. The two power caps at the power supply input to the main pc board are Elna 3300mF/42V. What should I replace these with? Should I replace them? I can't find exact matches.

d. There is one more 6800mF/25V cap leading to the rest of the circuit (clock?) Should that be replaced? With what.

2. There are two regulators after the main power caps that seem to be replaceable. They are three-terminal, 1A each. What should be used to replace those?

3. The input switch at the AC mains has two yellow-brick .33mF capacitors (filters?). I would like to replace these with Auricaps to cluan up the power supply. Thoughts?

4. Last, there are two sets of unused holes along the signal path immediately prior to the RCA-Out Female jacks. Would a pair of Auricaps do any good? Suggestions?

Thanks,
The Audio Ferret

Hide this!Advertise here!