Solen Teflon caps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2005, 11:18 PM   #1
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
Default Solen Teflon caps

I have been looking for a cheaper source for the teflon caps I have heard so many great things about. I have not yet found a very cheap source for them, but in looking, noticed that Solen now offers a few lines of Teflon caps on their website.

www.solen.ca

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with these, along with where I might purchase them. I believe I can get them right through Solen, in Canada, but would prefer not to in order to avoid the import tax.

Anyone seen or used these teflon caps to know if they even are a better value. I dont even know prices yet, so they may be no cheaper than any other.
Old 26th October 2005, 12:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Holy smokes!

Have you seen the _price_ on these things? Oy gevalt, I could buy two woofers for one 10 uF capacitor! That's getting well beyond my diminishing returns threshold, because at that point I can throw more money at almost anything else (speakers, cables, power amps) and get more bang/buck.

And even if my system is so good that going to teflon would make even the slightest difference, I could get a hundred discs for what it'd cost me to recap with these babies.

Anyway, that's my choice. Yours is likely different, so de gustibus and all that.

Francois.
Old 26th October 2005, 01:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RetroAudio
Default parts, parts, parts!

to me, one of the biggest joys of DIY audio is hunting down underrated parts on the surplus market. Through the years this has proved worth it's weight in gold in terms of knowledge gained and the education involved. There is almost no greater joy than to come across some components that no "conventional" audiophile would ever think about using and would absolutely smoke the popular stuff being bandied about by the masses, all for just mere pennies on the dollar. This in itself is an education that proves most beneficial in all phases of audio.
Old 26th October 2005, 01:13 AM   #4
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
I understand your concern with the cost, however, I didn't ask your opinion of value. Teflon caps are expensive, we all know this. Yet everyone who I have talked to, who has used them, claims they are worth the money. I hear nothing but raves about them. The V-cap was highly recomended, but the catalogue price on the Solens is less for a similar speced cap. I did not intend to use them in the crossovers where high values where used. I agree, 10uf for almost 400 dollars in a bit rediculous. However, for area's where I can use a .44uf, a bypass cap, whatever the need, I am anxious to try them to see what they can do. Also, as an output cap, where you would use just two, and the cost would be maybe 25-30 dollars, I think is worthwhile. That is an area I think is especially affected by the caps sound.
Old 26th October 2005, 01:33 AM   #5
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi pjpoes,
Why not just order a few to try then? Get some other things if there is anything you want.

I have ordered from Solen many times. They have been good to deal with. The product is generally very good. I have not tried those, and do not plan to unless someone has a very convincing argument.

-Chris
Old 26th October 2005, 04:02 PM   #6
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

Anyone compared them to the Russian surplus teflons?

Hide this!Advertise here!