"Audio grade" electros ? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2013, 06:05 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
I'm not sure that low ESR is desirable for audio - most subjective tests of electrolytics rate low ESR capacitors like the FC, FM, ZL, ZLH, etc. as much harsher-sounding than relatively higher ESR (and physically much larger) caps like Elna Cerafine, Panasonic Pureism, Nichicon Muse KZ and Rubycon Black Gate.

There needs to be some other measure that has a bearing on capacitor linearity (e.g.. how straight is the V vs. t graph when charged at constant current?) as well as how constant C remains with V. All of this is rarely characterized and heavily dependent on electrolyte formulation (aqueous vs. non-aqueous, solid polymer vs. electrolytic, etc.) and chemistry, material properties of the foil, separator, etc.

It's not even clear to me that the most linear caps are the best sounding, but that's another can of worms.
Old 17th December 2013, 06:20 PM   #22
2SA991 is offline 2SA991  Germany
diyAudio Member

I use onle EPCOS SIKOREL 105 typs

Regards
Old 17th December 2013, 06:49 PM   #23
SRtom is offline SRtom  United States
diyAudio Member

Default audio grade electros

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
search: capacitor dielectric
in electronic and parts forum:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/searc...der=descending
You didn't specify why this is important. Are you working with coupling or filter caps? In either case most manf. equipment uses Nichicon, Rubycon. & Panasonic. If you need a tight tolerence cap for timing use a Tantalum
Old 17th December 2013, 07:00 PM   #24
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

But don't be surprised if it blows up. Sorry I couldn't resist. Older tantalums had that "feature"...

They're good now and I use the SMD versions often but I wont forget the "flash + bang" of the older drop type tantalums.

Last edited by jean-paul; 17th December 2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 17th December 2013, 08:03 PM   #25
SRtom is offline SRtom  United States
diyAudio Member

LOL, Yeah I grew up then but they were only rated at 16V and I tried to fit them into a 50V circuit! Now you can get 35~50V types but quite pricey. That's why I asked what he was using the caps for.

Hide this!Advertise here!