RCA Jacks, Binding posts and Attenuator, need sugestions!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Miller-8 said:
So you dont think the low mass thing is relevant?

No, what I'm saying is that Eichmann's technical argument quoted by Guijs is a load of ****.

The Eichmann solution is effectively adding more mass and ultimately doing just the opposite of what they claim.

To wit:

When a signal is transported along the length of a conductor, a magnetic field is generated that surrounds the conductor. When two conductors are used to complete a circuit, this magnetic field can give rise to circulating eddy currents between the conductors - resulting in distortion.

Eddy currents between the conductors? Eddy currents in what? The plastic? Air? Don't think so.

So then they add the "passive" buffer conductors to supposedly eliminate these eddy currents they say causes distortion. But now the magnetic fields between the conductors will indeed produce eddy currents between the conductors. I.e., in the "passive" buffer conductors.

While I like that the Bullet Plugs reduce a lot of superfluous conductor material over typical RCAs, the whole theory behind the "Eichmann Ratio" and now these cables with the "passive" buffer conductors is just a pure load of ****.

Doesn't mean they'll sound like ****. Just that the technical claims made about them is ****.

se

Last week I had a shootout (RCA plugs) with a friend of mine - we both have complete tube systems - from the DAC output to the poweramps.
We used pure silver wire 99,99% and military spec. shielding.

WBT: Dull, slow, thick..... just crap!

Neutrik: Very good, much better than WBT.

Eichmann: Even more detail and glorious stage, real 3D! Best transient response and real fast.

Guijs said:
Steve, do you have any cable/conductor recomendation to build a good interconnect?

Well that rather depends on who is defining what is "good." :)

Personally I've got the best results using small diameter, solid core conductors. 30 gauge gives a good balance. Some have gone with much thinner wire but for me it didn't result in anything I'd call an improvement. But that's just me.

I don't care much for plastics and other synthetics and prefer natural materials for wire insulation. However I'm not aware of any readily available 30 guage solid core wire with natural insulation. Magnet wire is the next best alternative as the amount of insulation is minimal.

I prefer copper over silver. Though I prefer a particular alloy wire over both of them. However that particular alloy I keep as a trade secret. I just mention it to encourage you not to limit yourself to the most common conductor materials. Though the downside is that it's rather difficult to find other conductor materials in anything other than bare form.

As for geometry, I like quad, i.e. four strands. If you want the absolute simplest cable, you can just braid four strands together without any jacketing. However I've had equally good results (better in some respects) using just a straight parallel run of four conductors inside a braided cloth jacket.

I prefer silk but I'm not aware of any readily available source for it in a hollow, braided form. Audio Consulting carries some small, 2mm cotton braid that could work well, though I haven't used it so I can't say for certian that you'd be able to get four strands of 30 gauge wire through its middle.

Anyway, just take each pair of conductors and tie them together at each end for the hot and ground connections and terminate.

The one problem you'll face is that most RCA plugs out there are designed for use with big plastic cables and don't afford any suitable strain relief for such small cables.

If you use the Bullet Plugs, what you can do is stick the end of a round toothpick in the tip of the center conductor and then carefully fill the body with something like beeswax. I've done this before and it works well for strain relief, but it's a bit messy if you ever want to remove the plugs. :)

Anyway, that's what's worked for me. Take it for what it's worth and don't be afraid to experiment with your own ideas. You're the one who needs to be satisfied with the results and what satisfies me or anyone else won't necessarily satisfy you.

se

Steve,

Thanks a LOT for the Help!!! I have another idea for conductor material that is not cooper or silver :D . Let's see if I can find it...

"I dunno about that. A conductor can work without an RCA plug, but I'm not aware of any RCA plugs that can work without a conductor. "

good point :D :smash:

Re: How about XLR's?

dhaen said:
Used mostly these days for balanced audio, XLR's are equally suitable for unbalanced audio.
I've never had a microphone connection through an XLR crackle, so I'm more than happy to use them for audio line-level. Conversely, I would never use a phono/RCA for mic level signals:dead:

XLRs are more in keeping with what I prefer, i.e. just simple pin/socket connections, but they're just so grossly oversized for the job that it's silly.

I can take four of my cables (not just four conductors, but four entire cables) and stick them inside the solder cup of just one XLR pin.

Three pin XLRs are rated for something like 16 amps per pin. Hell, that's overkill even for use as speaker connectors.

se

Guijs said:
Thanks a LOT for the Help!!! I have another idea for conductor material that is not cooper or silver :D . Let's see if I can find it...

That's the spirit! :)

Good luck with your search.

"I dunno about that. A conductor can work without an RCA plug, but I'm not aware of any RCA plugs that can work without a conductor. "

good point :D :smash:

:D

se

PauSim said:
Well, Canons should be the standard for high-end audio, balanced or not. Besides providing a tight grip, they don´t damage connectors with repeated plugging/unplugging as the locking RCAs do.

If the high end is to adopt a connector standard, I'd much rather it be the Redels. They're much more reasonably sized, They have a very nice locking mechanism that doesn't involve any twisting or screwing, they don't take up much more panel space than an RCA, and they can be had in crimp, solder, as well as straight and right angle PC mount versions.

Every balanced interconnect is unbalanced-compatible, isn´t it?

Pretty much, yup.

se

Here is my attempt.. These too me 3 hours to make and were so compicated too. ive done a set in silver and a set in very high quality mil-spec wire. This is made up of a beryllium copper # 25 alloy, then plated with gold.

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 377
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.