DIY supply shops in Hong Kong and Singapore

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In Singapore you will want to visit Sim Lim Square and Sim Lim Tower. You will find tons of DIY electronics and gray market hifi stores. Checkout Adelphi Center across from the main court building. Most of the country's retail hifi shops are there. The cab drivers are all familar with these places.

Good Luck,

-David

Hi, i'm from Singapore...

dw8083 is rite.

Sim Lim Square - computer products/parts, hi-fi, cameras, lotsa stuff.

Sim Lim Towers - Great place to get electronics stuff. It's like an electronics hub. 1 stop place for almost everything you need. lol ~!

best part is the 2 buildings are just adjacent to one another ~

Joined 2002
Paid Member
fcel said:
I always wondered .... when you go thru airport custom, don't you have to go thru hell (countless explanation) when they see so many items that looks like bombs (to non DIY personnel) & what not .... is it worth the trouble?

Hehehe....I guess I'll find out.

And to the other posters: Thanks a bunch on the lead
in Singapore.

Cheers,
Dennis

I always wondered .... when you go thru airport custom, don't you have to go thru hell (countless explanation) when they see so many items that looks like bombs

Not normally. The only time i had to enlighten customs and security personnel was when i travelled between HK, SG and Indonesia with a pair of S&B 102 TVCs in my hand luggage. At HK International a security guy noticed that x-rays don't pass too well through mu-metal. After a short interview with the suspect he called a few colleagues (bomb squad?) and the bravest removed a transformer from my bag holding it by the wires and staring at it with a mixture of fear and disgust. It only got worse in Indonesia.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I once had six 300W 110V light bulbs in my hand luggage from Mexico to Frankfurt. The security guy was completely puzzled by their looks in the x-ray screening. After some consulting and a couple of colleagues and a few confused stares they let me go on. This was in 2003 maybe.

Hi,

I'll be spending a couple of weeks in Hong Kong and Singapore.
Can you recommend some interesting DIY supply shops to visit?

So far, I've found this:
The Tube-o-phile Shopping Guide to Hong Kong

as well as this:

http://eshop.diyclub.biz/index.php?language=en

Thank,
Dennis

Martin Electronics - Tube Amp/ Speaker drivers

175 Bencoolen St #01-47, 189649, Singapore

Koba Electronics (S) Pte Ltd - Anything you want can be found. All brand of caps/ resistor / gainclone kits etc lm3886 / casing

#03-06 PEOPLE'S PARK CENTRE, Bukit Timah, 058357, Singapore

Hi, i'm from Singapore...

dw8083 is rite.

Sim Lim Square - computer products/parts, hi-fi, cameras, lotsa stuff.

Sim Lim Towers - Great place to get electronics stuff. It's like an electronics hub. 1 stop place for almost everything you need. lol ~!

best part is the 2 buildings are just adjacent to one another ~

i worked in Singapore from 1997 till 2000....
Sim Lim Tower is where you get electronics stuff...
there was a Vintage gear shop at the third floor and a tube guy there as well,
don't know the status now...

I'm live in HongKong, I will suggest go to Shenzhen of China when you been Hong Kong, there are the big electronic market in the world, you can buy any components and very cheap price such as 2SC5200 just US$1.00, maybe you will think they selling fake product, my experience that choose the big shop should be safe. From Hong Kong to there around one hour by train but yiu need get the China Visa frist.

Ben

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.