Horrible sound on startup - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2005, 07:23 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Horrible sound on startup

Hello everyone.

I have this problem, when I start my preamp (an audiolab 8000A using the pre aouts) it makes an horrible sound which is fed full force into the amps. Sometimes I forget to turn off the amps when turning on the pra amp. Last time this happend it made spagetthi out of my ribbon speakers, less fun.

My question is, is there some kind of curcuit that could protect the amps while the pre amp is starting. I guess this has to do with caps being charged. When starting the 8000A (using the built in amp) I need to wait 10-15 seconds before any sound is heard. A click is heard which I guess is an relay switching on the signal to the amps. Something like that would be nice to have since I am building my own pre amp right now.

Thanks in advance,

/Björn

P.S. I hav tried to find something about this in the fourum, but well I have really no idea what to look for D.S.
Old 23rd October 2005, 07:44 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I was a sound guy for rock bands, and the rules was always mixing console first, crossover second, amplifiers dead last. Might I recommend the same for your setup?
Old 23rd October 2005, 08:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah sure I understand that now, however when my cat turns on the hifi, well you get it, it's not really convinient.
Old 23rd October 2005, 08:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Well if you can find the power rails in your pre, you just need a relay, a couple of resistors, a cap and a transistor.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 23rd October 2005, 09:33 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Right, as I said I just wan't to make it into a pre amp I'll build myself so I guess I could need some help with semantics.

Thanks in advance

Hide this!Advertise here!