type of transformer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2005, 11:06 AM   #1
ronardi is offline ronardi  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default type of transformer

Could anyone tell me how many types of transformer are there?
What I know includes: R type, toroidal, EI type and C type.

In fact what're characteristics of them? is there a allround which works perfectly in all pre-amp, power amp and DAC? I found that most people using toroidal transformer in most type of projects, am I correct? I am asking this question because I am finding transformers for my coming head-amp and DAC. some of my friends told me that R type transformer is the best in most case but others keep using toroidal transformers, recently I found a factory making C type transformer and it said C type transformer is even better...Who is telling the truth? Setting aside the quality of materials and craftmanship of transformer, which type of transformer work best in which case? I really wonder?!
Old 21st October 2005, 06:05 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
for a tube (valve) output transformer, I have read that an EI type is preferred. Something to do with ensuring sufficient inductance to load up the valves properly.
Old 22nd October 2005, 01:17 AM   #3
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

transformers involve complex 3-d geometric trade offs modified by fabrication practicalities partly determined by magnetic and physical material properties

the topological extremes are toroid and pot core

toroids use the magnetic material at max efficiency and suffer from large capacitance in layer wound coils

conversely pot cores with split bobbin windings have low interwinding C and shortest possible copper path with inefficient use of mag material

leakage inductance and inter winding C are at odds as well

“best” is arguable, certainly intimately connected to specific circuit requirements

Hide this!Advertise here!