my Marantz reciever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, all. This is a awesome site. Heres my first post. I recently brought my old Marantz MR 235 reciever out of retirement. It may need a tune-up. I was looking for info about. I can not find much on it other than it being the same unit as the MR 230 and the MR 1530. They are rated at 30 watts per channel. When I bought it back around 1980 I was told it was 35 watts per channel. Anyway it sounds great but the FM channel keeps fading out and I have to keep tunning it back in. Also it makes alot of static noise when I adjust any dials volume,bass,mid,ect. It a real nice looking unit that I'm quite fond of but don't have a fotune to spend on it.

Sincerely M.J.B.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi firebirds3,
The first rule is to use the correct chemicals. They are tools and should be regarded that way. the wrong cleaners will destroy pots and some switches.

Use the minimum amount of cleaner to do the job. Clean the metal slip ring in pots, not the carbon track. Caig DeOxid works well.

Your tuner's problem may be power supply related. Use a DVM to monitor the B+ to the tuner from start to warm. It shouldn't change much. Seems to me I've had to put higher power zeners in there.

Oil or other fluids in the tuning cap plates will cause you misery. You can clean the cap plates with a very soft small paint brush, followed with a soaking with General Cement Electrowash 2000. It has to be a zero residue cleaner. Do not apply force to the plates!

Sorry, I do not have any info on your receiver any more. Let me know if you run across a schematic.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.