Capacitor upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have this car amplifier i intend to upgrade the parts.

It has 24pcs of SHL capacitor, made by Sam Young, Korea. Spec is 35V, 1000uF.
i) What does it mean SHL? is it a model or type of the capacitor?
ii) Can I use a 63V cap, with same value?
iii) Will upgrade make it better?

Then, it also has 8pcs LXV Capacitors, also by Sam Young. Spec is 25V, 1000uF.
iv) What is the different of these cap compare the SHL above? This is gold in colour.
v) Can I use the same 63V same value i intend to upgrade for SHL above to replace here?

Both are at the power supply part.

Please advise.

Attachments

• img_0664_v2.jpg
    img_0664_v2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 830
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Calvinhpk,

you realise that 63V caps will be much bigger than the 35 and 25V ones???? you may have a problem making them fit (as they will likely be bigger in diameter).

Also IMO there is no advantage in going for a higher voltage capacitor. A better quality cap maybe but higher voltage??? (having just read Walt Jungs choosing capacitors article maybe I shouldn't be saying that ;) )...

what is it you hope to achieve by changing these caps???

the letters are most likely the series (like a model number) you could try and track down the manufacturers web site and see if they have any datasheets on them.

Tony.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
why do you want to change out the caps? don't you like the sound of your a/d/s amp? i thought they were supposed to be one of the better manufacturers but i've been out of the car audio scene for a few years now.

like the other guys said, make sure replacements are of equal voltage and capacitance or better and that they will fit in the same space. you may be able to fit same diameter but taller caps in there, but you'd have to measure to make sure they'd fit with the coverback on.

I actually used to own one of those A/D/S amps. I always liked the sound, but I never loved it, and it was very unreliable. You may want to upgrade it just to improve its reliability. I had parts in the crossover go bad causing it to get noisy, I also had 4 power supply caps blow at a later date, messing things up.

Get a schematic if you can, that will be very helpful in upgrading it. By looking at those pictures I just can't tell whats what for sure.

My recomendation would be to change the power supply caps with Panasonic FC's, with that many it will be far too expensive to go with Black Gates. If money was no object, I would say go for it, but with that many, dont worry about it. You could always try the Nichicon Muse or Elna Cerafines if you prefer, but they are harder to get in a wide range of values.

I would locate any capacitors in the actual audio chain, and replace those. They are probably film types, or possibly ceramic (Gauh!) and I would recomend changing those with a better film or tantalum type. For very small values, polystyrene also works very well, and are pretty affordable. I personally believe that capacitors used in the signal path tend to have the biggest effect on sound, for good or bad, other than things like transistors, mosfets, opamps, etc.

If there are any opamps, find out what kind, and if there are any better replacements, and consider that. To be honost, I dont think that A/D/S used anything but fully discrete designs, so I dont think there are, but there might be some in the crossover circuit, so they are worth looking at.

If you really want to do it up, replace all the resistors. The large resistors, probably sand cast wirewound, that go to each transistor, I am assuming it has these, are a good one to upgrade with something like a Mills. The smaller film type resistors are worth upgrading with Vishay's, or whatever type you like of good quality.

You could also consider upgrading any trim pots or potentiometers with better quality ones. Car amp companies commonly use quiscent adustment pots of very low quality. I think I used the wrong term for that part by the way, but it adjusts the voltage for biasing, sorta, something like that (I am not a trained tech). I will warn you now that what you want to take on is a pretty huge task. I personally find it very difficult to unsolder and remove that many parts in that densly a populated board. It's common to overheat the pads and have them come lose on you if you are not careful. You could damage parts you didn't intend to change, or possibly can't change easily. It will require many many hours of work to do the resistors, what I think would be the hardest job. The Caps would not be as bad, but also a big job.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.