How can I understand if it is time to replace capacitors? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2005, 08:26 AM   #11
beppe61 is offline beppe61  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: torino
Default Re: Re: How can I understand if it is time to replace capacitors?

Thank you very much Sir for your kind and valuable reply.
Let me please quote you:

Quote:
Originally posted by I_Forgot


> There are several things to consider:
How old is the equipment?
30 years is old enough to warrant wholesale replacement of all
electrolytic caps.
Electrolytics are the least reliable electronic components.
How much will it cost?

Yes, the unit is about 30 years old unit.
It was quite good in its time. The caps replacement and upgrading (I am thinking of doubling the capacitance) should be cheap.
I am also thinking to remove the trasformer and put it in a separate case to make room for the new caps.

> This size cap is dirt cheap. In fact, put in a bit more capacitance
while you're at it. Modern electrolytic caps are about 1/2 the size
of 30 year old caps, so even if you get 2X the capacitance, it will probably fit in the available space. All this assumes you will do the work yourself. If you have to pay someone to do it, it probably isn't worth it unless the equipment is something really special.

All by myself (Aduio it is my main hobby and I want to try to so something).

> How easy are they to get?
You can get them from any electronics distrbutor or surplus outlet.
All things considered, I'd say replace them.
I_F
Dear Sir,

thank you so much for your extremely kind and helpful comment.
Do you have any suggestion on brands particularly good for audio purpose?
At the end I will need 2 caps 15.000-20.000 uF each / 63 VDC (to stay safe).

Kind regards,

beppe61
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 08:29 AM   #12
beppe61 is offline beppe61  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: torino
Quote:
Originally posted by wintermute
Hi beppe61,
Yes the esr gets higher as the cap gets older.... I'm not sure whether your description of why this is a problem is correct or not I just know it isn't desirable
here is another link, which tells the different ways you can use an esr meter to tell if a cap is bad. This one is a bit closer to home too!
http://www.qsl.net/iz7ath/web/02_brew/15_lab/06_esr/
Tony.
Dear Mr. Tony,

thank you so much for your kind and very helpful information.
I have provided me with a lot of interesting things to study in depth in the weekend.

Thank you so much.

Kind regards,

beppe61
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 08:33 AM   #13
just another
diyAudio Moderator
 
wintermute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sydney
Blog Entries: 22
Quote:
Originally posted by beppe61

My problem is:
if I want to upgrade the PS do I have to start with caps or with transformer?
ITALY
Hi beppe61,

that is going to depend on the design of the existing PS.... sometimes large capacitors are used to "prop up" an inadequate transformer....... if the transformer has enough VA to provide continuous current to the amp, when it is running at full load, and it doesn't make any noise (mechanical or electromagnetic) then you probably don't need to worry about it.

As for the caps, if you have an adequate transformer (as described above) then if there is enough capacitance to reduce the ripple to an acceptable level, then there probably is no gain to be made by putting in more capacitance. You may of course be able to use "better" capacitors of the same value for an improvement in sonics, as RetroAudio said more isn't necessarily better, have a read of Hugh Dean's ideas on power supplies here ---> http://www.aksaonline.com/discussion...s_psupply.html

Tony.

PS. you don't need to be so formal a hi Tony would be fine
__________________
Any intelligence I may appear to have is purely artificial!
Some of my photos
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 08:36 AM   #14
beppe61 is offline beppe61  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: torino
Quote:
Originally posted by anatech
One thing you can try.
Hang an oscilloscope on the capacitors and look at the waveform. If the ESR is getting high, you will see "pips" on the leading edge of the waveform. This gets more pronounced as the ESR and inductance goes up. So will any music waveforms. Try it.
-Chris
Dear Mr. Chris,

thank you so much for your extremely kind and interesting reply.
What you suggest me is out of my possibility for pratical reason.
I have already problems to concile my audio hobby with the family.
Anyway I have already decided to replace them and doubling the capacitance with very good new ones.
It is a try.
I will see.

Thank you very much again.

Kind regards,

beppe61
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 08:45 AM   #15
beppe61 is offline beppe61  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: torino
Quote:
Originally posted by wintermute


Hi beppe61,
that is going to depend on the design of the existing PS.... sometimes large capacitors are used to "prop up" an inadequate transformer....... if the transformer has enough VA to provide continuous current to the amp, when it is running at full load, and it doesn't make any noise (mechanical or electromagnetic) then you probably don't need to worry about it.
As for the caps, if you have an adequate transformer (as described above) then if there is enough capacitance to reduce the ripple to an acceptable level, then there probably is no gain to be made by putting in more capacitance. You may of course be able to use "better" capacitors of the same value for an improvement in sonics, as RetroAudio said more isn't necessarily better, have a read of Hugh Dean's ideas on power supplies here ---> http://www.aksaonline.com/discussion...s_psupply.html
Tony.
PS. you don't need to be so formal a hi Tony would be fine
Well, Hello Tony,

thank you so much again for your really kind, friendly and valuable comments.
As I said to RetroAudio, my idea of increasing capacitance in the PS is driven by some considerations.
Some very well regarded power amps sport really huge capacitance in their PS.
The Krell KSA 50, if I am not wrong, has 4 x 40.000 uF/each caps.
Once I listened to the KSA 50.
What a wonderful amp !
Odyssey Audio offers a caps upgrade in their amps.
This must mean something.
I understand that caps is not the full story.
There is also the transformer that acts.
The transformer should be about 600 VA.
All considered I am thinking of doubling the capacitance and pull the transformer out of the case to make room for the new caps.

Do you think it should be a wise move ?

Kind regards,

beppe61
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 09:04 AM   #16
just another
diyAudio Moderator
 
wintermute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sydney
Blog Entries: 22
Default sarcasm and cynicism alert in this post ;)

Hi Beppe61,

Well I don't know enough about the subject to really make any definitive comments, but at the risk of starting a war, I'll say this:

Sometimes companies do things not because it is better but because it will sell more!

I'm not saying this is the case with the Krell, but is it beyond the realms of possibility??...

Think about Joe Richman, he's looking for something that he can use to impress his rich mates. He takes a look at the Krell and says wow this amp has 160,000uF in the power supply, Bobs amp has 40,000uF, I'll show him. (I'm in no way implying that all buyers of a Krell would have this motive )

We are talking about pretty high end equipment here, and sometimes at this end of the market it is as much (or more) about brag factor than about sound quality. I haven't listened to a Krell (that I can remember) so these are all completely speculative and opinionated words I'm just a bit cynical by nature

8<----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
end sarcasm and cynisism

Really I can't say whether it is a wise move or not. It might be, you may get a big improvement, but then again maybe you won't.... It's a chance you will have to take, unless someone else who has this amp and has done the same modification pops in and tells you what their experience was.

Tony.
__________________
Any intelligence I may appear to have is purely artificial!
Some of my photos
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 09:42 AM   #17
beppe61 is offline beppe61  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: torino
Default Re: sarcasm and cynicism alert in this post ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by wintermute
Hi Beppe61,
Well I don't know enough about the subject to really make any definitive comments, but at the risk of starting a war, I'll say this:
Sometimes companies do things not because it is better but because it will sell more!
I'm not saying this is the case with the Krell, but is it beyond the realms of possibility??...
Think about Joe Richman, he's looking for something that he can use to impress his rich mates. He takes a look at the Krell and says wow this amp has 160,000uF in the power supply, Bobs amp has 40,000uF, I'll show him. (I'm in no way implying that all buyers of a Krell would have this motive )
We are talking about pretty high end equipment here, and sometimes at this end of the market it is as much (or more) about brag factor than about sound quality. I haven't listened to a Krell (that I can remember) so these are all completely speculative and opinionated words I'm just a bit cynical by nature

8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
end sarcasm and cynisism

Really I can't say whether it is a wise move or not. It might be, you may get a big improvement, but then again maybe you won't.... It's a chance you will have to take, unless someone else who has this amp and has done the same modification pops in and tells you what their experience was.
Tony.
Hi Tony,

thank you sincerely for your extremely kind, nice, honest and very valuable indeed reply.
I would like to elaborate a little my opinion.
The Krell, which had indeed a huge PS, IMHO sounded terrific.
Please let me stress "TERRIFIC".
That said I do not really know if this performance came from those 4 beer can sized caps, but I have the sensation that it could be related also to them, at least partially.
What terrified me in particular was the bass.
I have never heard a bass like that. Think of an heartquake.
It was an experience even shocking .
Of course there is no hope to achieve the room-shaking bass of the Krell with my amp, but I would like to increase the bass power just a little and I am starting to think that doubling the capacitance should be a reasonable move.
After all also a not overtly expensive experiment.

I will report on it.

Thank you very much again,

Kind regards,

beppe61
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 10:27 AM   #18
diyAudio Member
 
jacco vermeulen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: At the sea front, Rotterdam or Curaçao
Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Default Re: sarcasm and cynicism alert in this post ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by wintermute
but at the risk of starting a war
Isn't it hot enough already where you are, WM ?

Beppe, care to tell the type and brand of your amplifier ?
__________________
The buck stops Here
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 10:34 AM   #19
beppe61 is offline beppe61  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: torino
Default Re: Re: sarcasm and cynicism alert in this post ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by jacco vermeulen

Isn't it hot enough already where you are, WM ?
Beppe, care to tell the type and brand of your amplifier ?
Dear Mr. Vermeulen,

thank you very much for your kind reply.
The amp is identical to the following:
http://cgi.ebay.it/STEG-Amplificator...QQcmdZViewItem

It sports a pre-main splitting option and I currently use only the power amp section.
The pre section is much a cheap addition because the power amp part was also sold as power amp only in another case option.

What is your opinion?

Kind regards,

beppe61
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 11:07 AM   #20
just another
diyAudio Moderator
 
wintermute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sydney
Blog Entries: 22
Default Re: Re: sarcasm and cynicism alert in this post ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by jacco vermeulen


Isn't it hot enough already where you are, WM ?
Yes maybe I should have chosen my words more carefully

Tony.
__________________
Any intelligence I may appear to have is purely artificial!
Some of my photos
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I think I understand CCSes now...time for application Bitrex Solid State 3 11th June 2009 09:08 PM
Burn-in time capacitors tubee Solid State 0 18th April 2005 08:15 AM
First time caller, long time listener... smallangryboy Introductions 15 19th March 2005 08:10 PM
Time To Replace Output Mosfets nikosgr Solid State 15 14th February 2003 08:52 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:37 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2