pcb software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
a question: is there on the market any software for pcb design that is similar to Tango software?

I am using Tango for years and it is good for me- easy with no parts by name but byhousing (TO3, TO220 and so on). The problem is that it doesn't work with XinXP so I must have another computer running on win98 and this is not very nice for me.
I would like to find simple, nice software for one or two layouts that use TO220, TO3 (housing) to put components and not names like 2n3055 if You know what I mean.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I tried Eagle (found it extremely frustrating) and went back to Express PCB. Note that I don't actually use it for doing pcb artwork but for working out layouts on verro board. I love that I can use express SCH to do the schematic and link it to express pcb and see what should connect to what, simplifies designing with vero board considerably!

The problem that I see with Express PCB is that if you are planning on making your own PCB's you can't export the actual copper layer to a bmp as far as I can tell you can only do a screen dump. I think this could be a pain when trying to print it at the actual size required for the final pcb.... am I missing something here??

Seems like they have made the program so you have to use their PCB making service, which is a perfectly reasonable business decision by them :)

Tony.

xplod1236 said:

Thnx - i will see if this suits me.....

paologatto said:
Go Eagle

PRO:
- Very powerful and its files are accepted by most of PCB manufacturers
- There is a free version, although with some size limitations

CONS:
- GUI is user-unfriendly and not intuitive at all :whazzat:

I have found 4.09pro version to try.... very unfriendly but o.k. - powerful machine.... puts many questions like how to change the values for the pads of the resistors from library (they are to small - if I use one resistor the holes are to small - the copper around the hole is not enough for me - i would like to have it bigger and can't find where to determine the size... probably nowhere); also I don't see where to print only layout without the parts (copper side without parts on it)

wkopacz said:
Hi !
if your Tango works in dos mode you can use DosBox

its a great soft...
easy/autotrax works just fine on XP.
regards, wk.

my Tango is working only on win98 and i have winXP on my current machine - so I said that I will have two machines and one monitor - it is a problem when You need to look at the datasheets and draw the layout on another machine :(

wintermute said:

The problem that I see with Express PCB is that if you are planning on making your own PCB's you can't export the actual copper layer to a bmp as far as I can tell you can only do a screen dump. I think this could be a pain when trying to print it at the actual size required for the final pcb.... am I missing something here??

Tony.

I am making my own boards with acid and with photo-sensitive boards (I don't know how to call this stuff). So I don't need router since I want to make my boards alone and how I like them... also I need to change the size of the pads of the components.... I don't need complex lybraries since I would like to find software that puts its parts on the board like TO3 and not 2n3055 (not by name but rather by footprint - I haven't found the software that is doing this except Tango and that is why I like it so much..... easy, has everything I need.....but...... i hate to work on two machines)
:bawling:

Express pcb - can it work without that "Order pcb boards from us"...... can it print what You have designed..... i am not at home and can't download it now to try it.......

regards
sunny

edit: oups:D wintermute answer that one - it can't print but it can help to design.... so, can anyone answer my questions about eagle..... maybe i am also missing something (well a lot actually :) )

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Sunrise,

I'm not home either at the moment, so can't check.... I just realised I didn't ever try printing direct from expressPCB just tried exporting as bmp (which only will do the silkscreen layer). You may be able to print the copper layer, might be worth a look :)

Now that you mentioned resistors in Eagle I think looking back that it was resistors that made me give up in disgust :)

Tony.

Didn't try express pcb yet..... with Tango I've had no luck.... it would not work so far.... also not with dosbox... but i've magaed to make him run in strange video mode... it is running but i can't see the clear image .... will try further... and also some other pcb programs...... (also express)....keep You all posted
sunny

Hey sunrise,

it's no problem to run both, XP and 98 on the same computer and select the system when booting (you can have one OS booting per default if you don't select anything for some seconds).
An additional Win98 doesn't take much space!

It's easy if Win98 is installed first on the harddisk and XP afterwards. If XP is already installed and you want to add Win98, this is more complicated if I remember well.

So now you've got another option :)
Good luck,
Dominique

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.