Opamp replacement options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for moving it to the right forum Jean.

Wintermute, i did the search before posting the thread.
nothing much to go on, especiallyon the AD713.
The datasheet claims that itis a perfect replacement for the TL074 butit costs 8$ a piece and i want to know if it is worth considering.?
Apparently OPA4134 is not a huge imorovement over the TL074.
Any views on the AD713 would be very much appreciated.

Sachi

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi sachi, I just remembered having seen the TL074 threads before when searching for info on burr brown opamps... I don't know anything about the AD173....

I thought I had read the oposite on the opa4134..... people seem to rave about them!! I think the only negative comments were about quad opamps in general, and those people would say any quad opamp was bad as they prefer to use single ones, which I can understand. If I remember correctly the statement was that if you must use a quad, then the opa4134 is the best you can get.... is the AD173 a new opamp??

Tony.

Hey wintermute,

The OPA4134 is a good opamp but not so great to justify 4-5$ a piece. The other issue is that they don't come in DIP anymore, only SOIC.:(
The AD713 is a quad package and the datasheet claims to be a direct improvement over the TL074,84 and one of the BB quad opamp packages.
another issue is that the TL074 is Jfet while this is BiFet. How big a factor is this?

However, these cost 8$ and i would end up spending clsoe to 50$ if i go for them. hence i would appreciate any info on them. It seems they are the quad equivalents of AD711. the only downside being that the channel separation is probably not as good.
I came across only brief mentions of the AD711 on the forum.Seems that they are decent. But I need a bit more assurance than that cause 50$ is a lot for me.
Above all i need the opamp to fit it seamlessly with the rest of the circuit.

Sachi

Hi,
I just read an opamp paper that specifcally mentioned the TL series 06,07,08 were very poor at driving capacitive loads. i.e. cables and presumably hi pass filters which start with a cap to promote the roll off and a low pass active filter feedback path. This list probably excludes the TL series from 90% of audio work and yet I do not recall any similar advice coming from the manufacturer's data sheet.

If your circuit does NOT require capacitance drivability then the improvement may be quite small, whether measured or audible.

Any corroboration?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.