depotting transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Epoxy is hopeless to remove easily. What you need to do is CAREFULLY chisel it away from near where the wires come out. Once you can expose a few millimeters, new leads can be soldered on.

I just had to do this with some nice UTC transformers- it was a pain, but I've got good connections now. And once the transformers are mounted, no-one can tell without flipping the amp over and removing the bottom plate.

I'm sure there's a way to do that, but everything I've tried on my transformer didn't stick well. Two part epoxy, PMMA resin, two part polyurethane, and hard silicone all let go. I suspect the original potting was a filled phenolic, but I don't know for sure. If you have any suggestions, I'd like to try them.

If you heat epoxy enough (90-120 C IIRC) it becomes jelly like, and is easy to chisel away with a screw driver. It goes back to its glass state as it cools. I've done this with some large epoxy potted high voltage transformers that I used to work with.

I found a hot air gun (paint stripper type) is ideal for heating.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.