torodial transformers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i want to build a power supply for the sonic impact t-amp i have and because i want a sweet looking slim case :)D) a good torodial transformer would be cool. the thing is i heard that there are many "levels" of torodial transformers and most are not audio quality + i live in israel so it better be made in europe so shipping will be cheaper. i searched the forums i could not locate a good source. please help

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Not sure if Ireland counts as close enough but you could try these guys out http://www.antrimtransformers.com/catalogue.php?sec=446 either their custom ones or one of their standard range. I just bought a standard range 300VA 2X 20V secondary, but havent used it yet. (I'm lucky there is an Antrim authorised manufacturer here in Sydney). I've heard good things about Antrim before and their pricing is good (at least here in Aus).

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yikes!!!! you might be better trying harbuch here in Australia... on an exchange rate basis would be better off for starters... I bought a 300VA dual 20V secondary for a bit under $70 a week or so ago, and that was a potted one, the non-potted is 7% cheaper...... don't know about the shipping but I would imagine a lot less than that!!!

Harbuch is licenced to make Antrim transformers.

Tony.

edit: I think the base price without GST or potting was about $53 AUS, which is about 25 UK pounds!!!

You can get pretty high quality transformers at Schuro:
http://www.schuro.de/preisl-v-rkt-ms-sw.htm
I think prices are outstanding for what they are but ordering there can be a pain (like no reply or similar).
These transformers feature magnetic shielding, shielding between primary and secondary, special iron core, etc...
You want to build a separate power supply case?
In that case I´d use a standard toroid and nothing fancy/shielded/potted or so.
Don´t know what the T-amp can take voltagewise but I´d reckon a 9VAC/50VA would fit and be plenty IMO.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
sorry here is the link :) http://www.users.bigpond.com/harbuch/harbuch/default.htm

I bought one of the standard range ones, but while I was there they said that they will do custom ones for audio, low flux density etc... I didn't enquire as to the price difference for a custom one though...

Tony.

edit: the ex stock ones are cheaper too.... i was going to get a 225VA but it wasn't a stock item, the 300VA was and was $10 cheaper :).

Audiophile-grade toroidal transformers are wound with oxygen-free copper wire, silver-plated with teflon coating, have gold-plated cores, and magnetically defluxed mounting hardware. Also, the winding machine uses tube-based logic with an even number of factory employees. Factories with odd numbers of employees produce transformers which are distorted and unpleasing to the human ear.

Seriously, any decent transformer with good regulation should work fine. And good regulation generally comes "free" with a large VA rating.

Wes

Other than the last statement regarding regulation and size, the preamble is sadly all too typical of the mockery of those who evidently never made measurements or comparisons.
Toroids do have smaller extraneous magnetic fields than other geometries, and above a certain size, they are smaller and less expensive. But the typical low cost toriod, with no shielding between its overwound primary and secondary, has very high bandwidth via its high capacitive coupling, making a resonable tube output transformer, passing whatever noise is on the mains line. Toriods with interwinding shields are quite expensive.
Other geometries such as shielded or split bobbin EI cored, flatpacks and C/R-Cores with physically separated windings, measure, and SOUND better.
Certainly, powerline filtering can address some of these issues, but little beats using a properly specified transformer.
FWIW

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
wes-ninja250 said:
pmkap:

I do not for one moment believe that an unshielded, inexpensive toroidal transformer is unsuitable for use in audio-equipment power supplies.

Wes

Hi Wes, If you had used some of the ones I have had, you may change your mind ;) I've had major problems with radiated noise from (not so cheap) Toroidals!

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.