Mystery Chokes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I got given these chokes (2 the same) -- they are substantial, have the sound of liquid sloshing around in them when you shake them (they fellow who gave them to me said oil filled), are rated for very low inductance, but large current capacity.

Can anyone enlighten me as to their purpose?

dave

Attachments

• oil-choke-label.gif
    oil-choke-label.gif
    21.3 KB · Views: 174
Nice stuff.

Considering the apparent age it probably does use PCBs but as long as it stays sealed it's safe (even if it doesn't, its reactivity is debatable so there :p ).

0.11H is around the critical value for say 300V 1A, so that makes enough sense. No good for less than that critical value, but...

It may've also been used at lower voltage for consequently wider current range, but I don't know anything tubed that would need that kind of power. Could also be early transistor era, but I doubt they would've needed parameters like that with 50s and 60s germanium junk as it was.

Tim

Hey Dave:

I tracked down those chokes - they are filled with PCB. They came from the transmitting stage of the Coastguard radio station here in Alert Bay. Westinghouse 20,000 watt HF (240 Khz) transmitter ca. 1940. Removed July 1967.

Same with the trafor and chokes I have - these came from the audio amplifier section (shame this was lost) - it drove about 18 speakers around the site on 75V step-up-down trafors on the speakers (remember the highschool PA system).

Now, you just have to figure out what to use them for.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.