Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2005, 01:33 PM   #1
Hayden is offline Hayden  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default component glue

One question, why do they glue down the components in electrical devices like amps? the non silicone based stuff causes problems, but why glue reservoir caps? their not going to move
why glue transistors?
Old 5th October 2005, 08:55 PM   #2
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

several reasons... mainly to fix larger components, like reservoirs, to minimize mechanical strain on the solder joints, -also to fix components before wave soldering, - glue also used to fix for reflow soldering
Old 6th October 2005, 03:55 AM   #3
Loial is offline Loial  Sweden
diyAudio Member

As AuroraB said, it is used mainly to reduce mechanical strain on the solder joints, they're not made for mechanical stress, even very small strains can weaken the best solder. In amplifiers standing still in your living room, it may not be obvious, but the product has been shipped, and we all know how well treated stuff are in shipping...
Also during thermal stress, the mechanical forces vary.
Gluing of transistors and other components can also be made by hermal reasons, to thermally couple transistors, sensors, etc. with a thermally conductive glue.
Old 7th October 2005, 12:30 PM   #4
Hayden is offline Hayden  Australia
diyAudio Member

True I can under stand that but the non silicon based glue goes dark its highly conductive and corrosive I cant see anything more worse to put in a amp than that glue, its like acid it eats the legs off diodes, shorts transistors out and makes the board go black I have fixed a lot of jobs mainly amps that have that glue, the white silicon stuff seems to be ok.

It’s like a ticking time bomb!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7th October 2005, 03:03 PM   #5
mzzj is offline mzzj  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hayden
True I can under stand that but the non silicon based glue goes dark its highly conductive and corrosive I cant see anything more worse to put in a amp than that glue, its like acid it eats the legs off diodes, shorts transistors out and makes the board go black I have fixed a lot of jobs mainly amps that have that glue, the white silicon stuff seems to be ok.

It’s like a ticking time bomb!!!!!!!!!!!
Come on, how manufacturer can sell new products if old ones last forever. If they end up with too reliable product they add some acid-glue... They have different composition for products with 2 or 5 years warranty

Needless to say that hate that stuff, real annoying to scrape it off and look for missing component legs.
Old 7th October 2005, 06:42 PM   #6
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
to reduce the fatigue caused by vibration.

Hide this!Advertise here!