component glue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As AuroraB said, it is used mainly to reduce mechanical strain on the solder joints, they're not made for mechanical stress, even very small strains can weaken the best solder. In amplifiers standing still in your living room, it may not be obvious, but the product has been shipped, and we all know how well treated stuff are in shipping...
Also during thermal stress, the mechanical forces vary.
Gluing of transistors and other components can also be made by hermal reasons, to thermally couple transistors, sensors, etc. with a thermally conductive glue.

True I can under stand that but the non silicon based glue goes dark its highly conductive and corrosive I cant see anything more worse to put in a amp than that glue, its like acid it eats the legs off diodes, shorts transistors out and makes the board go black I have fixed a lot of jobs mainly amps that have that glue, the white silicon stuff seems to be ok.

It’s like a ticking time bomb!!!!!!!!!!!

Hayden said:
True I can under stand that but the non silicon based glue goes dark its highly conductive and corrosive I cant see anything more worse to put in a amp than that glue, its like acid it eats the legs off diodes, shorts transistors out and makes the board go black I have fixed a lot of jobs mainly amps that have that glue, the white silicon stuff seems to be ok.

It’s like a ticking time bomb!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, how manufacturer can sell new products if old ones last forever. :D If they end up with too reliable product they add some acid-glue... They have different composition for products with 2 or 5 years warranty :D

Needless to say that hate that stuff, real annoying to scrape it off and look for missing component legs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.