Need replacement for IC : SFC 2709 E - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2006, 10:11 PM   #11
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I replaced pretty much everything in mine. When I bought the TT the board was broken in half, some of the components were replaced with wrong values and the solder job was something ugly. I was going to use it for parts but decided to restore it... I already have a couple DIY units. Anyway, LM709 work (as they should). Check out Steve Clarke's Analogue Dept., if you haven't already. The link will take you directly to a page of interest, but click and scroll around, there is a whole Thorens Dept. including a section about TD125/126.
Old 16th October 2006, 10:24 PM   #12
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Bartek,
Yup.

Hi totor,
You can not use that meter. It will read low, maybe a lot low. Therefore you need to have a friend or someone with a real AC voltmeter to set this up for you. At least an oscilloscope can be used to approximate the levels. At this point, I'd stick all the original parts back in unless they are defective. This is an important step.

I use a TD-125 MKII. I think it's an excellent table. It is my best one. I sold two others without any regrets after I got mine. I had to rebuild it ("struck by technician"). I have rebuilt a few others over the years as well. I happen to like the Ortofon brand of cartridges on this table.

So, put the old parts back in. STOP and get some help before you cause some damage. There is no way you will be successful with your meter.

Consider this as well. That table is worth a lot. Worth having an expert work on it. Just make sure the bearing and platter shaft are good, also the motor.

-Chris
Old 17th October 2006, 07:54 AM   #13
totor is offline totor  France
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Listening to your advice, I put all original parts back.

This morning, I have sent the turntable to a technician. I hope I haven't made too much damage.

Thank you for your help and advices.
Bye
Old 17th October 2006, 01:58 PM   #14
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi totor,
I think you wil be fine if your technician is any good. My advice was based on the fact that you couldn't win with your meter and no 'scope. Let us know how things worked out. It might be helpful for you to explain to the tech that you are trying to learn, and if he can tell you what was wrong.

You are going to love that turntable I think. Look after it and keep it with you a long time.

-Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!